Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
positioning & branding
Transcript of positioning & branding
traditionally brands were just a guarantee of the product's functionality
but now it is not only about how it works but about
WHAT IT REPRESENTS
Benetton, the first one to ideologically position in controversial matters
but of course it is not the only one anymore
others even take it towards a more ironical perspective, able to laugh on the world and themselves.
And be treated as a brand
El consumidor cada vez es más poderoso. Y EXIGE bidereccionalidad.
Apple, the brand of those who think different
It is about:
describing a clear profile of its identity
establish clear behavioral patterns
A unique perception from the public.
point of difference
El consumidor cada vez es más escéptico. Y demanda TRANSPARENCIA y responsabilidad.
El consumidor cada vez es más impredecible. Y las marcas son VULNERABLES a las modas.
and it still does it
para darle sentido y coherencia
para homogeneizar su discurso
What makes me different?
Which are my advantages?
What do I do? What do I know? What can I do?
To whom do I exist?
Which are their interests, expectations, needs...?
If I was a person, how will I be?
Where do I come from? What's my story?
What do I believe in and fight for?
Which are the main values of my mission?
What do I fight for?
Which is my commitment to my public and my environment?
Main message from the brand
Heart of the proposal
marketing/branding = potential to seduce
They are symbolic forms of representation
they personify values, lifestyles, attitudes, groups' belonging....
¿Es la marca la manifestación más seductora, poderosa y manipuladora de una compañía?
Positioning is a result coming from different perceptions & experiences
"the best ad we ever did for Apple is the apple Store"
Lee Clow / Chiat Day
branding is about building perceptions and identities
and a brand strategy must involve many perspectives
Marcas que son símbolos.
Empresas donde todo es marca y la marca lo es todo.
Y eso condicionará sus relaciones con el entorno
They talk about the image of a product
BUT ALSO ABOUT OUR OWN IMAGE
brands represent identity
5 basic ideas
A positioning is built by many different perceptions, coming from different sources.
The place where an idea (or a brand) is in our mind.
what happens then in our over-communicated society?
Our future positioning will be built on people's perceptions, based on our behavior and our product's realities.
Is about managing a positioning
brands adopting social & political positions.
and that leads to almost anything to become a brand
& of course, films
Joan Salvador Gavina Center for children
(named upon "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach)
Anchorage & origins
It is the first daycare center for children with psycho-social and family problems created in Catalonia.
It opened in 1978, thanks to the implication of diverse people sensitive about the marginality & poverty of the Raval district in Barcelona. Then, reality was far different, means where limited and good will was their main driver.
It described as a non-profit social initiative from Christian inspiration. Its aim is to help children with risk of social exclusion.
It was named after the Richard Bach's novel of a seagull who looks for better reasons to fly than just getting food: to discover, to be free etc.
It was constituted foundation, and it's funded by donations from people, companies and some government grants.
Field of competence
point of difference
learning to fly
Daily direct action with Raval's children and their environment (day center for educational support) to:
- stimulate & promote their personality development
- assist their socialization and integration to avoid risky situations to be damaged.
with social sensitivity campaigns within the city to:
- raise society awareness on the unfair social situation of those children, and their lack of opportunities
As pioneer center, open and rooted in its community:
- Its story: 25 years collaborating in the neighborhood, pioneer in Catalonia and very well established in the area.
- its field: involved with the fourth world, tied with a very specific community, with concrete conditions (immigration, multiculturalism...)
- its description: A so called "open center", with its concrete features: not a school not a leisure center.
- its size: Small institution, close to people, like a family.
As educative project: the child as unique person and with the capacity of choosing:
- Individual treatment (thru a personal educational project)
- Involvement: every child as protagonist on his/her own educational process (he/she chooses, rejects, puts limits on every aspect)
It is a sample of what we call Participatory & Active Pedagogy that believes on boosting the individual discovery of each one capacities and virtues (independently from social condition)
We direct our efforts towards children & teen from the Raval area, who need an special help and support to grow with the opportunity of a better future. To become better persons in a better society.
And also, to their families, many of them affected by what are called social risk situation such as: instability, drug abuse, penal problems, illiteracy etc. With a great % of immigrant families.
Our support will also help in their integration.
But we want to communicate to the people of Barcelona, to make them aware of the difficult situation some children (& families) have in our own city. To raise some sensitivity.
We would like them to become involved in the well-being of us as society. To take part.
* Women & Men, living in the city. Middle class and superior educational. Over their thirties. Have children of their own. Show some with some social conscience and sensibility. They might be collaborating with other social organizations with volunteer work or thru donations.
* Companies. Involved in the area. Specifically those related to children's market. Ready to invest in Corporate Social Responsibility.
A middle aged women. Open. Respectful. Tolerant. Progressive. Cultured.
A realistic person, involved in her reality and ready to take a step further. Active.
Positive, someone who looks at the future with optimism. Sees the bright side of things.
With some personal values strongly rooted and always willing to defend what she believes in. But also ready to listen to others' opinions.
Ready to teach and open to learn.
UN declarations of the rights of the child, Principle VII:
"The child is entitled to receive education, which shall be free and compulsory, at least in the elementary stages. He shall be given an education which will promote his general culture and enable him, on a basis of equal opportunity, to develop his abilities, his individual judgement, and his sense of moral and social responsibility, and to become a useful member of society".
To give children an education that allows them, in their diversity and cultural richness, to fully develop as persons, and integrate themselves in society with equal opportunities.
Right of Education
Equality of opportunities
one brand = one position
support to specific political parties or candidates
standing with social protest's movements
New brands are philosophies of life
Anything helps to create an image.
- Al Ries & Jack Trout: "Positioning, the battle for your mind", Mc Graw Hill, 2001
- Wally Olins: "on brand", Thames & Hudson, 2003
- DDB springboard: brand foundations.
- Own work for Centre Obert Joan Salvador Gavina, 2005
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION
more complex relationships with consumers (and society)