Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Context Clues
Context clues are anything in the sentence or paragraph that helps you understand what a word means. There are five strategies you can use in order to help figure out the meaning of any unknown words.
First Strategy: Definition
Meaning of the unfamiliar word is given right in the sentence
Signal Words: is, are, or, means, refers to
Example: Caverns are very large caves.
Second Strategy: Synonym
A similar word is given for the unfamiliar word.
Signal Word: also, as, like, same, too
Example: She is cautious crossing the street and also careful riding her bike.
Third Strategy: Antonym
A word meaning the opposite of the unfamiliar word is given.
Signal Words: but, unlike, though, however, instead of
Example: The water was shallow but it was deep enough to catch a fish.
Fourth Strategy: Example
Samples, instances, or ideas of the unfamiliar word are given.
Signal Words: for example, like, such as, including
Example: Souvenirs such as T-shirts, key chains, and postcards are fun ways to remember trips.
Fifth Strategy: General
General clues are given about the unfamiliar word.
There are no signal words for this strategy
Example: I appreciate the way you encourage me. I won first place
How can I use context clues to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words?
1. Think about the five types of context clues.
2. Look for words, phrases, and signal words that may help to figure out the meaning of the unfamiliar word.
3. If necessary, reread or read ahead to find other clues about the word.
4. Use the clues to help figure out the meaning of the word.
5. Try the learned meaning in the sentence.
7. If no clues are available, or if unable to figure out the meaning, look the word up in the dictionary.
6. If it makes sense, continue reading.