Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Epidemiology Basics
“The study of the
of health-related states or events in specified populations."
Measurements of Health
Incidence vs Prevalence
Years of Potential Life Lost
Number of NEW cases for a specified time (ACUTE)
Number of TOTAL cases (OLD + NEW) for a specified time (CHRONIC)
Mortality vs Morbidity
2nd study - the 2nd "D"
Asks "Why" = tests hypothesis
Person - Place - Time
Review Week 2
Questions - Media Literacy
Questions - CEL Contract
Questions - other?
Module 3 LO
The 2 D's
Community to community
The Cryptosporidium Outbreak of 2007
Person, place and time
Common terms to describe disease trends
Media Literacy Assignment
Levels of Prevention
Delays or prevents the onset of illness or injury - no symptoms
Steps taken to diagnose early before disease becomes severe
Aims at rehabilitation after severe disease
Types of epidemiological studies
# New Cases
Total at Risk
# New + Old Cases
The 1st "D"
Births in Utah
17.6 = Utah
12.5 = US
Rates are per 1,000 residents
"Processed data is information.
Processed information is knowledge.
Processed knowledge is Wisdom.”
― Ankala V Subbarao
Classification of Disease
Caused by a specific agent/toxin that CAN be transmitted
Chain of Infection
Disease that CANNOT be transmitted
These deplete resources FAST!
Review this week's learning outcomes
Other due dates
How can we bridge the divide between data and effective health interventions?
What we expect or anticipate
2002-06 = 16
2007 = 1600+
1. % of women who have received a mammogram IF they have less than a high school education
2. RACE with the highest % of adults with diabetes. What is the %? Lowest?
3. SEX with highest rates of gonorrhea? Men? Women? Race?
2) South Jordan
3)South Salt Lake
Health Insurance Coverage