Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Digital Divide
Transcript of The Digital Divide
Some implications for being on the wrong side of the digital divide are:
Feeling left out
Being made fun of
Not having access to technology so you are not able to meet your job requirements or finish an assignment.
Being a teacher, can require using technology. How are you going to teach a student to use it when you are not capable of correctly using it yourself? There are also many other implications to this, but these are a few that come to mind when thinking about how it would feel to be on that side of the divide.
• What is the consequence of the digital divide for teachers and/or students?
"56 percent of teachers who work with low-income students say that their students' lack of access to digital technology is a 'major challenge' to using quality online resources in their lessons."
• What can you do about the digital divide as a teacher when you have your own classroom?
Does the Digital Divide exist?
"Less than one-quarter of those with incomes below $25,000 have the Internet at home, while over three quarters of those with incomes above $50,000 do. This sharp contrast between lower and upper income households represents a very substantial divide in the population."
As a teacher, you can strategically place the computers so that the students will want to work together and learn how to use the computer. Also, if the assignment requires computer research, I, as a teacher, can make time to go to the computer lab instead of making them do the research at home.
• What can society do to help close the digital divide?
Youtube.com My blackberry is not working
The Digital Divide
"The digital divide is most commonly defined as the gap between those individuals and communities that have, and do not have, access to the information technologies that are transforming our lives."
Teachers have to adjust their assignments, so that all of
their students can participate sufficiently and with no inconvenience.
This graph shows that the Digital Divide does exist.
1. Provide free classes to teach people how to use technology.
2. Provide technology in schools for students to utilize.
3. Public libraries can provide free internet access to the public.
Does anyone else see the Digital Divide that is being shown here?
What is the Digital Divide?