Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SCHIZOPHRENIA
Mikaela Van Eaton
Victoria Kong Description/Symptoms Causes Treatment Medication Prevalence Conclusion - Chronic brain disorder
Residual - Genes ·Affects 24 million people worldwide
·More than 50 percent of people with schizophrenia don't receive appropriate care
·90 percent of people with untreated schizophrenia are in developing countries Medication usually only addresses the psychosis (hallucinations, delusions, etc)
- group therapy + medication (more successful than individual therapy or solely meds)
- focus on real life situations: cooking, cleaning, forming relationships
- family therapy: helps both the schizophrenic and those around them - Best treatment
- Side effects
- W/o medication, symptoms will return ·More research
·Expand treatment availability
·Raise Awareness and Tolerance Citations -Environmental factors
- Brain chemistry
- Psychological factors? "Schizophrenia-Medicines." webmd.com. WebMD LLC, 2005. Web. 1 Oct. 2012. <http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/tc/medications-schizophrenia>.
Goldberg, Joseph. "Drugs to Treat Schizophrenia." webmd.com. Web MD LLC, 2005. Web. 1 Oct. 2012. <http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/schizophrenia-medications?page=2>.
Grohol, John M., Psy. D. "Psych Central: Schizophrenia Treatment." Psych Central: Schizophrenia Treatment. N.p., 01 Sept. 2011. Web. 01 Oct. 2012. <http://psychcentral.com/disorders/sx31t.htm>.
Bengston, Michael. "Types of Schizophrenia | Psych Central." Types of Schizophrenia. Psych Central, 2012. Web. 02 Oct. 2012. <http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/types-of-schizophrenia/all/1/>.