Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
1st Type Conditional
Transcript of 1st Type Conditional
Now read some exampes of Murphy's Law
Look at the sentences in the previous exercise again and watch this video. What tense is the verb after "if"? What form is the other verb?
These sentences are referred to as "the first conditional". Look at these examples and learn more about them:
. Use "if" + present to talk about a possible situation or condition and "will" / "won't " + infinitive to talk about the consequence.
2. The if-clause can come first or second. If the if-clause comes first, we usually put a comma before the next clause.
3. You can also use the imperative or "can" + infinitive instead of "will" + infinitive in the other clause.
It Always Happens
Read this article about Murphy and his law. Who was Murphy? What is his law?
If you are in a check-in queue and you change to another queue which is moving more quickly, what will happen? The queue you were in before will suddenly start moving faster. What will happen if you take your umbrella because you think it's going to rain later? It won't rain, of course. It will only rain if you forget to take your umbrella. These are examples of Murphy's law, which says, "if there is something that can go wrong, it will go wrong".
Murphy's law took its name from Captain Eward Murphy, An American aerospace engineer from the 1940s. He was trying to improve safety for pilots flying military planes. Not surprisingly, he got a reputation for always thinking of the worst thing that could happen in every situation. Here are some more examples of Murphy's Law.
If you get to the airport early, your fight will be delayed.
If you want to sleep on the plane, there will be a hyperactive five-year-old in the seat behind you.
If you are late for something important, all the traffic lights will be red.
If you park a long way from a restaurant, you will find a parking space right in front of it.
If I miss the last bus, I'll get a taxi.
If you tell her the truth, she won't believe you.
What will you do if he doesn't call you?
If you miss the last bus, get a taxi.
If you miss the last bus, you can get a taxi.