Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Best Laptop for a College Student
Transcript of The Best Laptop for a College Student
Price: 38,400 yen (including shipping cost)
Screen Size: 15.6 inches
Weight: 5.5 lbs.
OS: Microsoft Windows 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 / 1.3 GHz
Memory (RAM) Capacity: 2 GB (4 max)
Graphics Processor: Intel GMA 4500MHD - 128.0 MB
Storage Capacity: 320 GB
WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Battery Type: 9 cell lithium ion about 4 hour battery life
*It only comes with a one month trial of Microsoft Office 365. For it to be acceptable for a college student, you need to buy Microsoft Office Home and Business for 36, 540 yen. The computer is relatively portable—it has an acceptable weight and size. It is not the lightest computer, but it is not a burden to carry around. The battery life is very long and is sufficient. It has commonly used preinstalled software (Microsoft Office Home and Business), which is very useful for completing tasks and sharing digital files with teachers. It also has a large storage capacity (which is more than enough for the student’s needs), a middle-power processor (which is enough for the student’s needs), and *acceptable memory; it runs with no problem for taking notes, making reports, or preparing for presentations. Moreover, the company that invented this laptop, NEC, is a brand and therefore produces very reliable products. All things considered, it is a good laptop in terms of performance (according to reviews from customers) for its price for the average college student.
(* This is optional: The student can upgrade from 4GB to 8GB of RAM with 6,049 yen.) Features: • The laptop is very thin and has an acceptable weight, therefore making it easy to carry.
• The laptop has an extensive amount of battery life—14.5 hours. (When untouched, the computer
has a battery life of 14.5 hours, but when used, the computer has a battery life of about 7 to 8
hours.) The student does not have to worry about whether the laptop would run out of battery
• The windscreen display with LED super shine view and resolution of 1600×900 dpi provides clear
images. A high resolution presents the advantage that even though the student minimizes a
window, the window will still retain its quality and will not have any part of the content cut off.
From this, the student can get more desktop space to work with.
• The laptop comes preinstalled with several software that contain Microsoft Office Word, Excel,
and PowerPoint. This is a major benefit, as purchasing software after buying a computer costs
much more than buying a computer with preinstalled software. These software are especially
important for the average college student for taking notes and writing reports, creating
graphs, and forming presentations. They are also very convenient for submitting assignments
as digital files, for the preinstalled software are commonly used. It is most likely that the
professor who receives the file also has the same software.
• There is a very large hard drive capacity and a reasonable memory capacity; the student can
take notes or make reports and presentations on the laptop with ease. Furthermore, the laptop
has a Blu-ray drive and therefore the student can backup a large amount of data.
• Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth eliminates the need to connect the laptop with awkward, unwieldy
cords. The laptop has speedy connection with networks it can access. The student can
research quickly anywhere as long as the computer has internet access.
• The laptop comes with a built-in microphone and webcam, which allows the student to
communicate with others online (such as families that live away from the dormitory).
• Interestingly, the material of the laptop is self-repairing (are scratch resistant) and is hard to
create dents and scratches into. Introduction Computer Comparison Recently in computer class, we have been exploring the components of the computer and the necessary components for different requirements. Basically, our task is to find an appropriate computer and printer for a college student. Computers and Printers We Chose Assumptions There are some assumptions based on this project. One assumption is that the college student lives in Japan. Another assumption is that the average college student does not have a large budget. Therefore, the computer the student purchases should be reasonably cheap. Furthermore, the student would most likely want to use the computer for taking notes during class and carry the computer from class to class. From this, the computer should be a laptop and have a long battery life. Specifically, the laptop should be light and should have an acceptable storage capacity (for the many notes or reports the student would take or make). Features:
• It has plenty of hard drive space for all documents, school programs (applications), and presentations.
You’ll never have to worry about a limited amount of space for school work.
• It has a big screen size with acceptable resolution for students who find themselves in front of a
computer screen all day.
• It already comes installed with many useful software programs including Java, which is crucial for
students to use.
• It’s WIFI capability and ethernet card are efficient for connection to the school’s network. This is
important especially now when a majority of school work is connected to the internet.
• It has a camera, microphone, and built in stereo speakers for use of programs like Skype to stay
connected with family.
• The laptop comes with a new Windows 8 software, which is praised for its design. It allows for compatibility among touch screens and non-touch screens.
• For computer people used to Macs, the touch pad offers a variety of multi-touch actions. This allows for easy access when using the computer frequently.
• The computer comes with a built-in health monitor to alert to user to possible costly problems before they become a big deal that will have to come out of your pocket. This should save more money for the students when they already have a tight budget and can't afford to have expensive repairs.
• Additionally, it comes with many energy saver and eco friendly options. Printer: Epson Stylus NX430 Small-in-One All-in-One
• This Epson printer meets all the basic needs of a printer. It scans, prints, and copies all with a wireless or USB connection.
• This computer is notorious for it’s compatibility and easy setup. It’s literally set up and use, which is perfect for an on-the-run college student.
• It’s inkjet and is therefore somewhat slow, but it’s ink is top of the line and gives excellent quality to the printing on plain or glossy paper.
• The main controls are a touch pad 2.5 inch LCD screen.
• Unfortunately, it doesn't have auto-duplexing(double sided printing), but in a college computer, fancy isn’t necessary. It just needs to be reliable. Haiga’s Choice: Macbook Pro Apple 15 inch
Screen Size: 15 inches (widescreen), 0.71 thickness
Weight: 4.46 pounds
OS: Mac OS X 10.7
Processor: Intel core i7-3615QM (2.3GHz)
Memory (RAM) Capacity: 8GB
Graphics Processor: Nividia GeForce GT 650M (1GB)
Storage Capacity: 256GB Flash Memory
Battery Type: 95 Wh
Battery Life: 7 hours
USB Type: USB 3.0 HDMI port SDXC card slot Magsafe 2 Why I chose this computer:
• The MacBook Pro is good for work, games, and anything
else that uses processing which is used alot by college
• 7 hour battery life so students can work on the
computer most of the time without worrying about the
• Two thunderbolts that do high-speed data (students will
not be concerned about slow computer/lag)
• Extreme amount of capacity which allows the college
students to store a lot of data for school work
• Facetime HD Camera for them to communicate with
parents or friends that they do not meet daily
• Reasonable weight for the student to carry; 2.20
• Good graphics for the student to be able to concentrate
easier Printer: Epson Expression Home XP-400 Small-in-One Printer
The Epson Expression Home XP-400 lets the user print, copy, scan, and more so the college student has all the basic needs to a computer. It is very quiet and user-friendly since it is a wireless printer (Apple's AirPrint and Epson’s Connect Technology). These two devices lets us share with other people for example your friends in different dorms or even your family. Also, since there is a 2.5 inch LCD Touch Panel it will be easy for the student to perform the things they will want to do, copy, scan, etc. Maimi’s choice: NEC LaVie M series LM550/JS6 model 13.3-Inch Laptop
Best Price: 79,800yen
Screen Size: 13.3 inches (widescreen)
Weight: 1.88 kg (4.14 pounds)
Size: 328.5x225.9x26.8 mm (12.93×8.89×1.06 inches)
OS: Microsoft Windows 8 64bits
Processor: Intel Core i5-3317U/1.7 GHz(/2 core/4threads/L3 cache)
Memory (RAM) Capacity: 4 GB
Graphics Processor: Intel HD Graphics 4000/1664 MB
Storage (Hard Drive) Capacity: 750 GB
WiFi: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
Battery Type: Lithium ion
Battery Life: 14.5 hours
Integrated software: Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 LaVie M LM550/JS6
Original Website: http://kakaku.com/item/J0000003919/images/ Canon PIXUS MG3230 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One
Best Price: 5,977yen
• The printer is compact; the student does not have to suffer much when
transporting the printer.
• This printer has a high color resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi and high quality of
images due to the Canon FINE ink cartridges (which can be easily replaced if
necessary). The student can benefit from the high quality of images printed out
(which can be beneficial for complicated diagrams, etc.).
• The printer has Built-in AirPrint and WiFi technology, which allows the student to
print from anywhere and without much setup of the printer.
• Auto-Duplex Printing is automatically built in the printer so that the student
can print on both sides and helps prevent papers from being wasted.
• Easy-WebPrint EX automatically comes with the printer, allowing the student to
design his or her own template for printing multiple web pages.
• My Image Garden is also another feature installed in the printer. This software
allows graphic editing of images, allowing the student to apply effects such as
Fish Eye, Blur Background, or Full HD Movie Print. This can be helpful,
particularly if the college student intends to focus on art or photography.
• Furthermore, My Image Garden allows the student to look at CREATIVE PARK
PREMIUM, where the student can browse through and download differing
• The Canon iEPP application allows the student to print and scan files from
mobile devices (as long as they are compatible with the printer).
• The printer is compatible with diverse types of paper, such as highly glossed
paper, matte photo paper, and envelope paper.
• Quiet Mode can be used when the student wants the printer to print quietly.
This lowers the likelihood of bothering others. Summary and Justification:
The printer’s high resolution, high quality, fast speed and response (such as for documents, web pages, and images), free software, wireless WiFi, ability to print from mobile devices, and fast connection via Hi-Speed USB makes the printer very versatile for the college student’s needs. This printer is compatible with the recommended laptop. It is also sold at a very cheap price for its quality; most customers show satisfaction with the printer and its features. Canon PIXUS MG3230 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One
Original Website: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A4%E3%83%8E%E3%83%B3-PIXUSMG3230-Canon-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A7%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E8%A4%87%E5%90%88%E6%A9%9F-MG3230/dp/B009GSTZTO Works Cited (Sarah):
Amazon. "Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5339 15.6-Inch Laptop (Satin Black Trax)." Amazon.com: : Computers & Accessories. 2013. 06 Mar. 2013 <http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C855D-S5339-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009FX5CY2>.
Epson. "Epson Stylus NX430 Small-in-One All-in-One Printer." Epson Stylus NX430 Small-in-OneÂ All-in-One Printer. 2013. 06 Mar. 2013 <http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB22201>.
Jacobi, Jon L., and Melissa Riofrio. "Epson Stylus NX430 Small-in-One All-in-One Printer Review: Compact, No Frills, Great Output." PCWorld. 25 Jan. 2012. 06 Mar. 2013
PRWeb. "Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5339." Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5339 Price Comparison and In-Depth Review Released by Find My Price. 1 Mar. 2013. 06 Mar. 2013 <http://www.prweb.com/releases/Toshiba-Satellite-C855D-
"Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5339 15.6-Inch Laptop Review." Reviews Specs Laptops. 6 Feb. 2013. 06 Mar. 2013 <http://reviewsgreatspecsalelaptoppc.weebly.com/toshiba-satellite-c855d-s5339-156-inch-laptop-review.html>.
Yu, Justin. "Epson Stylus NX430 Small-in-One All-in-One Printer review." CNET. 11 Nov. 2011. 06 Mar. 2013 <http://reviews.cnet.com/multifunction-devices/epson-stylus-nx430-small/4505-3181_7-35027589.html>.
Works Cited (Haiga):
Brian Westover Comparing MacBook Air vs. Macbook Pro October 19, 2012, http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404585,00.asp
Tassavur Shaikh, 24th October 2012, http://onlygizmos.com/apple-launches-the-macbook-pro-with-13-inch-retina-display-starting-rs-114900-in-india/2012/10/
“MacBook Pro 2300/15 MC975J/A.” . com. Kakaku.com, Web. 5 Mar. 2013. http://kakaku.com/item/K0000389692/spec/#tab
Works Cited (Maimi):
"BUFFALO PC3-12800 204Pin DDR3 SDRAM S.O.DIMM 4GB D3N1600-4G." Amazon.co.jp. Amazon, 1996-2013. Web. 12 Mar. 2013. <http://www.amazon.co.jp/BUFFALO-PC3-12800-204Pin-S-O-DIMM-D3N1600-4G/dp/B0081BU1MW/
"Canon Inkjet Fukugouki PIXUS MG3230." Amazon.co.jp. Amazon, 1996-2013. Web. 7 Mar. 2013. <http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A4%E3%83%8E%E3%83%B3-PIXUSMG3230-Canon-
"Canon PIXUS MG3230." Kakaku.com. Kakaku.com, Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000421835/>.
"LaVie M." 121ware. NEC Personal Computers, 2011-2013. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://121ware.com/lavie/m/>.
"Shiyou LaVie M." 121ware. NEC Personal Computers, 2011-2013. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://121ware.com/navigate/products/pc/123q/10/lavie/lvm/spec/index.html>.
"LaVie M LM550/JS6 PC-LM550JS6." Kakaku.com. Kakaku.com, Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/J0000003919/#tab>.
"NEC notebook PC LaVie M PC-LM550LS6B(LM550/LS6B) Cosmo black." Rakuten Global Market. Rakuten, 1997-2012. Web. 5 Mar. 2013. <http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tels/item/10032927/>.
"PC-LM550JS6R LaVie M." Amazon.co.jp. Amazon, 1996-2013. Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://www.amazon.co.jp/NEC-PC-LM550JS6R-LaVie-M/dp/B009TLDM0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362706348&sr=8-1>.
"PIXUS MG3230 Gaiyou ." Canon. Canon Marketing Japan, Web. 6 Mar. 2013. <http://cweb.canon.jp/pixus/lineup/allinone/mg3230/>. NEC LaVie M series LM550/JS6 model 13.3-Inch Laptop Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5339
Taken By: Toshiba
Original Site: http://www.positivesolomon.com/p/214/toshiba-satellite-c855d-s5339-156-inch-laptop-satin-black-trax Summary and Justification This Toshiba computer is from a very reliable company that is trusted worldwide. Not only does it have outstanding performance with a decent battery life and plenty of storage, but it also comes at an extremely reasonable price. This Toshiba has a web cam, blue tooth feature, and worthy microphones and speakers for connection to home, which is crucial to a college student. On the other hand, the storage may be considered small for gamers. If it's just for school work, the performance is above par. Additionally, the RAM is only 2GB, and that will really limit the actions of the computer when multi-tasking. Overall, the Toshiba Satellite has its ups and downs, but it's definitely capable for a college student. Epson Stylus NX430 Small in One All in One
Taken By: Epson
Original Website: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CB22201 Summary and Justification This Epson printer is basically a cheap printer for someone with a tight budget. It doesn't have a lot of nifty tools, but it will get the job done with a little patience. For example, it can't print double-sided and is a little slow, but on the other hand, it has great resolution in document and picture printing. Also, the ink is reasonably priced and can be found in many various places. This Epson printer is also very portable and easy to set up, which is exactly what every college student needs. Why I chose this printer:
• I thought that a basic college student should have a large range of settings. This printer lets them scan, copy, develop pictures, and of course print.
• Also, the college students dorm room is considered “small”. That's why this printer will fit perfectly since it is wireless (those not need to be next to a outlet, may be troubling) and also very quiet which will obviously not disturb other students or roommates.
• Lastly, this printer lets them share pictures, documents (school related sheets), for it to be easier to communicate. http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2833/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-review Summary and Justification: Another assumption would be that the university does not provide chargers for each individual. We considered the price, portability, processor's power and capacity of the laptop to be crucial. The MacBook Pro has enough memory storage and a high-powered processor, but may be too expensive for the average college student. The Toshiba Satellite is heavy for the average college student. Therefore, taking these factors into account, we chose the NEC LaVie to be the best laptop out of all three laptops. The NEC LaVie laptop was the most well-balanced in its features.
(Note: All laptops are recommended for college students.)