Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
MI - Motivational Interviewing (Part 1)
Transcript of MI - Motivational Interviewing (Part 1)
to change 2. Teaching ways
to change 4. Provide
NOT changing 3. Listen to thoughts
about change “... a collaborative, person-‐centered form of guiding to elicit and strengthen motivation for change.” Sacramento Taking Action Against Nicotine Dependence (STAND) Peer-to-peer quit smoking interventions based on the MI model - 61% quit smoking rate at 6 month follow up Result Client Centered Goal Oriented Sustain Talk Change Talk 4 Principles 1. Express Empathy 4. Support Self-Efficacy 3. Roll with Resistance 2. Develop Discrepancy Desire to change Commitment
Taking Steps Need for change Reasons for change Ability to change D A R N--C A T Desire for Status Quo Commitment
Taking Steps Need for SQ Reasons for SQ Inability to change O A R S Summarizing Affirmations Open-Ended Questions AMBIVALENCE Reflections Action Pre-Contemplation Contemplation Relapse /
Permanent Exit Preparation Maintenance Prochaska and DiClemente (1977) Stages of Change - Evidence based
- Over 200 clinical studies Works well when the client can make a conscientious choice! - Elicit drug use
- Dietary Change
- Parenting Works Better - With minorities
- Low SES
- Without an explicit manual Works with Brief Interventions Training manual - SAMHSA.gov Seminars, Workshops, and other info - MotivationalInterview.org One Two Three (cc) photo by medhead on Flickr Status Quo Change Ambivalence Alex Tyannikov