Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Atoms
- The smaller structures that make up an atom are called subatomic particles.
- The nucleus of an atom contains protons and neutrons.
- The protons in the nucleus are positively charged.
- The neutrons are neutral or have a
charge of "zero".
- An atoms are the smallest basic unit of matter.
- An element is a type of atom.
- Different elements have different atoms. A hydrogen atom is different from an oxygen atom.
- What makes each atom different has to do with the number of subatomic particles (protons).
A Carbon Atom
Electrons and The Electron Cloud
- Electrons in an atom circle around the nucleus.
- The collection of electrons that form around the nucleus is called the electron cloud.
- Electrons are negatively charged.
Atom and Elements
- Carbon has six protons in its nucleus. Carbon is also number six on the periodic table. This number on the periodic table is called the atomic number.
- If you look at hydrogen on the periodic table it is number one. Hydrogen also has only one proton in its nucleus.
- An elements atomic number always equals the number of protons in that atom.
What makes up an atom?
The Structure Of An Atom
- electron cloud
-Every atom has:
- What changes from atom to atom are the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons that they contain.
- An oxygen atom always has 8 protons and 8 electrons. A hydrogen atom always has 1 proton and 1 electron.
- There are also the same number of protons and electrons in an atom. If an atom has four protons, you automatically know that it has four electrons.
- Draw the atomic structure of the element oxygen. Include the correct number of protons, electrons, and neutrons. (include 8 neutrons)
electron in electron cloud
*Main types of chemical bonds are ionic bonds, and covalent bonds.
-Ionic: formed when one or more electrons are transferred from one atom to another.
a. ion: an atom that is either positively or negatively charged due to loss or gain of electron during ionic bonding.
-Covalent: when electrons are shared between atoms.
a. example: water