Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Dangers of Hate Speech
Transcript of The Dangers of Hate Speech
What Is Hate
- Speech that is directed towards a distinguishable group, is used deliberately, causes harassment, causes violence, threatens the safety of others, or creates
any other forms of incitement (Butt)
Misuse of Freedom of Speech
- Because of the glorification of freedom of
- Opinionated statements or journalism
Effects of Hate Speech on Its Victims
- Discriminatory hate speech effects:
It can shame them degrade them
Limits reproductive freedoms of its victims ( Mahoney).
How It Is Prevented
- Promotes human rights tolerance
By: Hasan Shahzad
Reasons for Prevention
- Encourages understandings of situations amongst differing
- Builds the capacity of national authorities, security officials and
- Lastly, eliminating hate speech creates “an environment conducive to
preventing acts of incitement to hatred" (Striking a Balance).
- Prevents forms of incitement, and thus increasing the safety of people
- Discriminates against groups of
people for their, religion, ethnicity, jobs,
sexual orientation, etc.
- Anything that causes incitement such as yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater (Uelmen).
-Anything that threatens the safety of others (Mahoney)
- Yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater (incitement)
Causes widespread panic
Leads to the harm of people in theater (Volokh)
Suicide in severe cases (Bethune)
- "In the United States, even the most hateful, virile and destructive speech is constitutionally protected" (Butt).
expression in the US, a "haven for hate speech and
dissemination [have seen a rise] because of the lack of
laws to regulate it" (Mahoney).
that hurt ones feelings, are hate speech
- Racial Slurs are hate speech (Should Hate Speech be Allowed?).
- Hate speech prevention causes greatly reduced freedom of expression (Volokh)
- Governments and human rights
- Social media administrators identify, and eliminate hate speech (Goel)
organizations , pass laws to restrict freedom
of expression to prevent hate speech (Butt).
Bethune, Brian. "The Psychology of Online Abusers." Maclean's. 16 Jun. 2014:
n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 23 May 2015.
Butt, David. "Canada’s Law on Hate Speech Is the Embodiment of Compromise."
The Globe and Mail. Globe and Mail, 19 Jan. 2015. Web. 20 May 2015.
Goel, Vindu. "Facebook Clarifies Rules on What It Bans and Why." New York Times.
16 Mar. 2015: B.6. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 23 May 2015.
Mahoney, Kathleen. "The Harm of Hate Speech: Are Media Responses Knee Jerk,
Impulsive and Thoughtless?" The University of Calgary Faculty of Law Blog
on Developments in Alberta Law. U of Calgary, 3 May 2013. Web. 20 May 2015.
"Should Hate Speech Be Allowed?" ABC Radio National. ABC, 27 Jan. 2014. Web. 23
"Striking a Balance between Freedom of Expression and the Prohibition of
Incitement to Hatred." United Nations Human Rights. OHCHR, 23 Oct. 2012.
Web. 23 May 2015.
Uelmen, Gerald. "The Price of Free Speech: Campus Hate Speech Codes." Santa
Clara University. Markula Center for Applied Ethics, n.d. Web. 23 May 2015.
Volokh, Eugene. "No, There’s No “Hate Speech” Exception to the First
Amendment." The Washington Post. Washington Post, n.d. Web. 23 May 2015.
CNN. "'Draw Mohammed' Organizer: 'True Islam Is ..." YouTube. YouTube,
28 May 2015. Web.01 June 2015.
Palmer, Ashanique. "Hate Speech And Social Media." :Blogspot.
Blogspot, 1 Aug. 2014. Web. 01 June 2015.
Political Cartoon: https://radiofreethinker.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/double-standard-3.png