Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PSYA4 - ADDICTION - risk factors
Transcript of PSYA4 - ADDICTION - risk factors
Risk Factors in the
development of addiction
However recent work has suggested that the influence of peers is often over-emphasised (2006). Experimenting with drugs when alone is a key factor in the development of addiction
Addicts who cope badly with stress are more prone to relapse than those who deal with stress. (Cleveland & Harris 2010)
Childs et al (2010)
Aim - to examine how stress influences smoking in a sample of regular smokers
Recruited daily smokers (M=12 F=4)
Divided randomly into 2 conditions
1. exposed to a stressful task
2. exposed to a control, non stressful task
A range of personality factors have been linked to addiction (Lang 1983)
New york times article....
Teenagers who start using alcohol or other drugs at an early age have a higher risk of developing an addiction later on.
A similar link exists for smoking
The effect of starting younger has been linked to a higher risk of later addiction, could be due to genetic or to learned factors.
* Vulnerability = Risk Factors + media
* Risk Factors = 4
Neuroticism linked to addiction
Inability to tolerate stress
High self monitors- sensitive to social situations and other people’s views/opinions.
Social Learning Theory (Bandura 1977)
Social Identity theory (Abrams & Hogg 1990)
1. Review Social Psychological theories of aggression and institutional aggression.
PS3 - 2nd assessment will be one 24 mark questions
Mini AO1 & AO2 short answer test in first lesson to monitor knowledge and understanding
2. File check - Everything organised
3. Write an outline of the work you have done on edmodo before Jan 5th