Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
"New Directions" - Maya Angelou
Transcript of "New Directions" - Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou - Narrative Essay
1. Conceded- admitted as true or valid; acknowledged
2. Amicably- in a friendly way
3. meticulously- very carefully and precisely
4. Balmy- having the qualities of balm; soothing, mild, pleasant
5. Ominous- threatening
6. Unpalatable- distasteful; unpleasant
symbolism - the use of symbols to represent ideas or qualities
Exposition: Annie Johnson was left by her husband with 2 small children and no way to support them
Climax: She had to figure out how to make a living and be able to raise her own children
Rising Action: She starts a business providing hot meals to mill workers at lunch
Resolution: Her business becomes a general store and she can take care of herself and her two kids
The theme is basically saying that no matter what life does to you, you can succeed. When you feel like doing something, don't ever hesitate to do it.
(Why is the selection relevant)
The job opportunities for African Americans were limited especially for women. This story was a way to show how a person's life changing decisions can lead to success no matter who they are. It also shows how a person shouldn't hold onto a title they are labeled with and instead make their own path which will capture who they really are.
Kasshus Mitchell- Theme
Alexis Cammon- Commentary
Deaveon Bradford- Vocabulary
Makia Rubin- Plot Details
Shunterius Stephens- Literary Devices
Tamera Goode- Introduction