Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Note Taking
1o Tips for Note Taking
1. Concentrate on the "meat" of the subject
Watch this video:
Take thorough notes on this video using the note taking skills we explored in this lesson.
Then, either using a concept map, a traditional outline, phrases, definitions, the Cornell method, or a strategy of your own, organize the information
Why do we need notes?
review important things study
remind us of things to do stay organized
Notes help us:
2. Keep it short
3. You should use your own words, but try not to change the meaning.
4. Don't take notes just to be taking notes!
5. Have a short form system.
6. Leave white space.
7. Don't worry about missing a point.
8. Don't keep notes on oddly shaped pieces of paper.
9. Rework your notes afterward.
A 3-part process:
Complete assigned readings before class.
Don't let your attitude about the instructor's style, appearance, etc., get in the way of learning.
Relate the class to your goals
Participate in class activities
Bring your materials
keep organized notes - name of class, date, page number
An important part of note taking
Review within 24 hour
- saves time later when studying
- moves information from short term to long term memory
- fix illegible words, mark things you don't understand, make sure notes are labeled properly
Fill in key word column (if using the Cornell method)
Short weekly reviews
What's your note taking style?
Some More Tips
1. Use dashes when you miss something.
2. *****use symbols to call attention*****
3. Don't erase a mistake, and don't scribble it out either.
No. or #
w/ or w
Homework due before next Wednesday:
How many more can you think of?
chocolate cake - delicious because:
Chocolate cake is delicious because it is a sweet, chocolatey treat.
Cake: a baked treat made from sweet light batter.
Chocolate: a delicious ingredient from the fruit of the cacao plant.
Sweet and chocolatey
Homemade or store bought
retrieved from: http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/library/for-students/great-notes/
Use keywords, rather than complete sentences
Use pictures and diagrams
Bring any notes posted online
Use index cards
Use "I'm lost," or "this is important" signals
Leave white space
Ellis, D. B. (2006). Becoming a master student
(Canadian 4th ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
This book is available at our library at this call number: LB2343.3 .E44 2006b