Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Safe Space Introduction
Transcript of Safe Space Introduction
Welcome to DiverCity 101
Latin dīversitās- variety or difference
The Ground Rules
We want this to be the Safest Space possible. To make this an environment where one can share their questions or ideas freely without feeling uncomfortable, there needs to be some REALLY HIGH expectations.
3 Strike Rule
3 strikes given by any one of the teachers will result in the removal of you from this community
Latin cīvitās- citizens
This class is an outstanding opportunity for us to learn more about ourselves and each other
A Community Exploring Difference and Equality
What is a Safe Space?
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability.
A place where the rules guard each person’s self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.
But from what?
1. Be Respectful- Be an active listener. Be aware of others' feelings and opinions without incorporating your own. This means no put-downs!
3. Ask Questions if you need clarification to anything.
a. 1-minute talk time b. "patient hands"
4. This is a confidential space. Anything personal shared, stays within these spaces.
If you break a ground rule...
You will be issued a strike!
a letter of apology must be written to the entire community to be allowed back in. Forgiveness will always be possible.
Is this a Safe Space?
Recently, two men had a debate over Gun Control. Observe the body language and tone of the gentleman on the right
Did he use...Active listening skills, empathy, and respectful disagreement?
2. Always Assume Positive Intent