Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Better Than Carrots or Sticks
Transcript of Better Than Carrots or Sticks
Not about rewards and punishments
Traditional Versus Restorative Approach to Discipline
Getting To Know Students
Student Interest Survey
Classroom management= relationships and high-quality instruction
Schools and rules are violated
Justice focuses on establishing guilt.
Accountability is defined as punishment.
Justice is directed at the offender; the victim is ignored.
Rules and intent outweigh the outcome.
No opportunity is offered to express remorse or make amends.
People and relationships are violated.
Justice identifies needs and obligations.
Accountability is defined as understanding the effects of the offense and reapiring any harm.
The offender, victim, and school all have direct roles in the justice process.
Offenders are held responsible for their behavoir, reparing any harm they've caused and working toward a postie outcome.
Opportunities are offered for offenders to express remorse or make amends.
Relationships and Meaningful Instruction
Trust the environment
Respect is mutual
1. When people want to know about___, they ask you.
2. When you have an hour of time to yourself, and you don't have chores or homework, what do you like to do?
3. Imagine you have one week to travel for free anywhere in the world. Where would you go and what would you do while you were there?
4.Let's say you have a time machine. What time and place in history would you choose to visit and why?
5. If you had $25 to spend on anything, what would it be, and why?
6. What do you hope we do this year in our classroom?
7. Please rank yourself on a scale of 1 (lots of help) to 10 (personal strength) on the following academic skills.
___Spelling ____Reading assignments ______ Grammar _____ Researching a topic ____Writing about experiences ___Working in a group ___Writing about information ___Leading a group ____Argumentation writing ___Working independently ___Class discusion ____Presentations
8. Last question: If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?
Gradual release of responsibility
Purposeful learning -what, why, and how
Rules and Procedures
Function of Behavior
What is the
Power or control
Does this warrant
Is this misbehavior harmful?
Is the behavior distracting to other?
Is the behavior contagious?
Does the student appear to be testing the system?
Should intervention be
delayed or deferred?
Do I have all the facts?
Is the student in an acceptable state of mind?
Am I an in acceptable state of mind?
Is this an isolated incident?
What are ways to intervene?
Moral of The Story
Encourage your students to be the best students.
Be a team!
Change the world and be inspiring.
Smith, D., Fisher, D., & Frey, N. (2015). Better than carrots or sticks: Restorative practices for positive classroom management. Alexandia, Virginia: ASCD.
SoulPancake. (2013, September 12). Kid President's Pep Talk to Students and Teachers! [Video File].
Retrieved from: Retrieved on November 8, 2015.