Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SEXISM
What is Sexism?
Sexism - prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
The Horrors of Sexism
“Most men fear getting laughed at or humiliated by a romantic prospect while most women fear rape and death.” Gavin de Becker
Why Does Sexism Exist?
Sexism stems from:
Males Gender Roles and Stereotypes
- Men are expected to be strong, aggressive, tall, handsome, bold, courageous, rough, tough, emotionless, insensitive, fearless and practical. They should not be soft, submissive or weak.
- They are not supposed to show feelings, have weaknesses or vulnerabilities.
- Should always be prepared to fight their way. They should never retreat from a physical fight. Others should fear them. They should physically defend their family and work hard to earn to support them.
- They should choose careers considered 'manly' careers. (engineers, doctors, military, managers)
- A real man is expected to have hobbies such as smoking, drinking, fast driving, chasing girls, and playing outdoor sports.
Female Gender Roles and Stereotypes
- To marry and have children
- To put her family's welfare before her own; be loving, compassionate, caring, nurturing, and sympathetic.
- To find time to look beautiful
- Expected to cook, clean and be a stay at home mom
- Should be weak. Not good enough to play sports. Have hobbies such doing makeup and shopping.
- Should choose feminine careers (such as nurse, maid and waiter)
Does Sexism Still Exist?
Sexism vs the Catholic Church
Sexism in the Media
- Only 11% of women make it into the top 20% of Canadian earners due to occupational segregation
- Women make up 5% of skilled trades, 10% of fire and police, 21% of senior managers
- The poverty rates for women in general is 20%, for women of colour is 37% and for aboriginal women 43%
- Women aged 45-64 made only 51 per cent of their male counterparts. Their median after-tax income was only $14,77
- Women in the Atlantic provinces had the lowest incomes in Canada. Their median after-tax income was $11,235.
In Toronto, on September 16th, 2013, a
firefighter was suspended WITH PAY after
tweeting sexist comments. Matt Bowman,
the firefighter involved tweeted, "Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms.” While a month he wrote, "“I'd never let a woman kick my a--. If she tried something, I'd be like HEY! You get your b---- a-- back in the kitchen and make me some pie!”
The Toronto Fire Department, despite
looking to recruit more women, seems to
be extremely sexist. The firefighter involved
completely belittled all women, while the
department itself took little action.
In Late December of 2012, in New Delhi
India, a 23 year old University student was
gang raped by three men on a subway car while on her way home. However, throughout the ordeal the bystanders inside the subway car did little to help.
This incident is the most clear depiction of sexism. Not only did the men accused of performing the rape have no respect for women, but also the encompassing bystanders whom did not care to help.
Sexism takes many forms in the media. These forms include:
Portrays women as being thin, tall, and well dressed
Women viewed as sex objects
Portrays men as being tall, and muscular.
Women are portrayed as being meak, and taking on feimine jobs
While men are seen as taking on laborious jobs.
Both sexes are often ridiculed in media if they dont meet these standards
...the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. (1 Corinthians 14:34-35)
Apostle Paul, who wrote:
“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)
20:17 Wife as property.
21:4 Wife and children belong to master.
21:7-11 OK to sell daughters. Female slaves can be used for sex.
In other words, sexism does exist in the Bible.
Catholic Social Teaching
1. Dignity of human person
2. Rights and responsibilities
3. Common good and community
sexism in the media