Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Emile Durkheim
Jasmine Barber Contributions to Sociology Modern Examples Egoistic Suicide Altruistic Suicide Anomic Suicide Theoretical Perspective Techniques Used Famous Studies Main Research
Born: April 15, 1858
Died: November 15, 1917 Gained notoriety at the age of 29
Became a promising figure in social sciences and philosophy
Major Works: "The Division of Labor", Le Suicide, The Rules of Sociological Method, Individual and Collective Representations, and The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life.
Main research was on suicide, theory of Anomie and the holistic and fundamentalist approach to sociology. Divisions of Labor: Case Study- Durkheim observed the social order that was maintained in different societies.
Suicide Study: Secondary Analysis- used official statistics to carry out the study. Explored differing rates of suicide. -Durkheim's most famous study, was the study of suicide.
-Suicide is due to social factors.
- 3 types of suicide: Egoistic suicide, altruistic suicide, and anomic suicide. -Emile Durkheim was a functionalist.
- He focused on social facts, social structures, cultural norms, and values, which he argued are external to the individual. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold committed
a mass school shooting at Columbine High School
in 1999 and then took their own lives. Pictures Durkheim's Novel Bibliography of Sources
Kamikaze Pilots: Japanese pilots gave up their lives for their country Emile Durkheim http://sociology.about.com/od/Works/a/Suicide.htm http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/functionalism.htm
http://cuip.uchicago.edu/~ldernbach/msw/xsdurkhm.pdf When a person becomes divorced or unemployed there is a bond or occupation broken which can result in suicide. Education Went to College d'Epinal
received his baccalauréats in Letters and Sciences Birth & Death