Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Fold Mountains
Today we will look at:
How fold mountains are formed.
What plates are involved.
Periods of folding.
Fold mountains are formed when two plates
with each other.
Page 76 to 79 in your book
Oceanic plate and a continental plate are pushed together and collide.
oceanic plate sinks underneath the continental plate and into the mantle.
plate then buckles upwards - it has no where else to go.
Fold mountain is formed.
The magma, formed from oceanic plate melting into the mantle, can move to the surface, forming . . . ?
Example : Andes Mountains
Formed when the
plate collided with the continental
If two continental plates collide - both buckle upwards.
Plate is colliding with
Periods of folding
30 - 35 million years ago
in South America
in North America
250 million years ago
Eurasion Plate collided with the African Plate
Many Irish mountains formed in this time