Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Psych Hospitals 2
Transcript of Psych Hospitals 2
When? 18th Century Budget Issues Overcrowding
Funded by State Tax Dollars
Lack of Resources Examples Patient Identity Same treatment
No individual attention
No patient plan Misunderstanding of Mental Illness Elderly defined as "senility"
Patients cast out and unwanted in society HOW? "The belief that patients needed to choose rationality over insanity led to techniques aiming to intimidate. Blistering, physical restraints, threats, and straitjackets were employed to achieve this end." Experimenting with New Forms of Therapies "At one time, posited brain pathology as the cause of mental illness" Related to time Period Electric Shock Therapy
ECT "medical procedure in which a brief electrical stimulus is used to induce a cerebral seizure under controlled conditions" Sylvia Plath McLean Hospital The Hanging Man
By the roots of my hair some god got hold of me.
I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet.
The nights snapped out of sight like a lizard’s eyelid:
A world of bald white days in a shadeless socket.
A vulturous boredom pinned me in this tree.
If he were I, he would do what I did. "The Shock Shop, Mr. McMurphy, might be said to do the work of the sleeping pill, the electric chair and the torture rack. It's a clever little procedure, simple, quick, nearly painless it happens so fast, but no one ever wants another one. Ever." The Waverly Hill Sanatorium
Byberry Mental Hospital
The Athens Mental
The Pilgram Psychiatric
1. D'Antonio, Patricia. "History of Psychiatric Hospitals." History of Psychiatric Hospitals. N.p.,n.d Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
2. "Ghost Adventures." Travel Channel. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
3. Hartocollis, Anemona. "Violence and Sexual Abuse Found at City-Run Psychiatric Unit." The New York Times. The New York Times, 06 Feb. 2009. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
4. Foerschner, Allison M. "The History of Mental Illness: From "Skull Drills" to "Happy Pills"" RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
5. Adams, Mike. "Georgia Psychiatric Hospitals a Horror of Medical Abuse of Mental Patients." By Mike Adams the Health Ranger. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
6. Admin. "Featured." Gaia Health. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
7. "Diseases of the Mind: Highlights of American Psychiatry through 1900 - Early Psychiatric Hospitals and Asylums." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 13 Sept. 2011. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
8. "No Individuality Allowed, You Must Be Drugged into Your Mental Straitjacket!" Philosophers Stone. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
9. "A Case of Lycanthropy--Rostenstock and Vincent." A Case of Lycanthropy--Rostenstock and Vincent. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
10. "Mental Health Patients' Experiences of Being Misunderstood | Mona Shattell - Academia.edu." Mental Health Patients' Experiences of Being Misunderstood | Mona Shattell - Academia.edu. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2013.
11. "Social Stigma." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 19 Dec. 2012. Web. 04 Jan. 2013.