Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

scincidae-skinks

No description
by

jessika kelly

on 22 April 2010

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of scincidae-skinks

scincidae-
skinks kingdom-animalia
phylum-chordata
class-reptila
order-squamata
genus-mabuya
family-autarchoglossa common name-mabuya general anatomy
classification both limbed and limbless usually with smooth
scales tiny compared to moderatly large lizards 126 + genera; about 1,400 speces,large family of lizards. have large,symmetric,shiels like scales on the head most skinks have smooth glossy circular scales,there are however few with sharp scales, ostederms(bony plates) underlie skink scales food widley foraging predators most are insectivors bit few large austrailian species are omnivorous some burrowing species feed on termites 60% veggies(leaves/fruit) and 40% meat(insects/rodents reproduction oviparious around 6-8babies are born at one time in the summer clutches of 2 egges in coconut plantations,
gardens,and forest edges habitat found in variety of habitats worldwide. deserts to grasslands some are even endangerd such as the chevoron skink which lives in new zeland. defense their head is coverd with enbryed plates research
sexual dimorphism and female reproduction in Many-Lined Sun Skinks (Mabuya multifasciata) from a population in Hainan (southern China). The smallest reproductive female was 90 mm snout–vent length (SVL). The largest male was 117 mm SVL and the largest female was 116 mm SVL. To measure the potential influence of gestation temperature on female reproduction, pregnant females were maintained under five thermal conditions until they gave birth. Parturition began in early May, and females produced up to two litters per breeding season. Litter size, litter mass, and offspring size (mass) were all positively correlated with female SVL. Litter size ranged from 2–7, and it was independent of relative fecundity (litter size relative female SVL). We did not detect a trade-off between body size and offspring number. Gestation temperature affected parturition date but not litter size, litter mass, neonate mass, or relative litter mass. Females at higher (average) gestation temperatures gave birth to young earlier than did those at lower temperatures. The detrimental effects of extreme ambient temperatures on offspring body size could be buffered through maternal thermoregulation.
Full transcript