Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Iron Deficiency Anemia
Transcript of Iron Deficiency Anemia
9.6% of residents in the US suffer of iron deficiency anemia
Deaths per 100,000 population: 1.5
In developing countries every second pregnant woman and about 40% of preschool children are estimated to be anaemic.
There are iron supplements that can be taken to increase the amount of iron.
Hemocromatosis (Men more susceptible to getting)
1. Hematology.org. Iron-Deficiency Anemia. 2015. Available at: http://www.hematology.org/Patients/Anemia/Iron-Deficiency.aspx. Accessed July 14, 2015.
2. Prevention C. FastStats. Cdcgov. 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/anemia.htm. Accessed July 15, 2015.
3. Mayoclinic.org. Iron deficiency anemia Symptoms - Mayo Clinic. 2015. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/symptoms/con-20019327. Accessed July 14, 2015.
4. Nlm.nih.gov. Hemoglobin: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. 2015. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003645.htm. Accessed July 15, 2015.
5. Who.int. WHO | Micronutrient deficiencies. 2015. Available at: http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ida/en/. Accessed July 15, 2015.
People at risk
Women who menstruate heavily
Babies born with low birth weight or born prematurely
People with a diet that contains very little iron
Children who drink more than 16 ounces of cow milk
Iron Deficiency Anemia by Jordy Portillo
Shortness of breath
Cold hands and feet
Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
Restless legs syndrome
Make personal health better
Raise national productivity levels by as much as 20%.
To support countries in combating anaemia, WHO has developed guidelines on prevention and control of iron deficiency and anaemia together with a manual for assessing the magnitude of the problem and monitoring interventions