Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Ch 2 - Argumentation - Where do I start?
Transcript of Ch 2 - Argumentation - Where do I start?
Arguments sufficient to cause an audience to suspend reliance on presumption
A prima facie case upholds burden of proof
A prima facie case is topical
Fields of Argumentation
A social or professional context…
in which people argue…
in order to make decisions…
or build a body of knowledge.
Roles In Argumentation
Encourages change in belief or
Discourages change advocate
Argumentation takes place over a piece of figurative ground
Presumption specifies who initially
occupies the ground
Burden of Proof
Obligation of the advocate…
to contest the ground by offering arguments…
logically sufficient to challenge presumption.
Argumentation - Where do I start?
Summary of Presumption
Presumption initially granted to opponent
Determines what advocate must do to “prove” the proposition
Presumption describes, it doesn’t judge
Inherency & Prima Facie Case
Inherency identifies cause of the problem
(or barrier to solving the problem)
Inherency can be structural
Inherency can be attitudinal