Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Jokes, Proverbs, and Riddles
Transcript of Jokes, Proverbs, and Riddles
the humorous or ridiculous element in something By: Cristina Clines Schoemaker says: "A tightly structured narrative with a recognizable beginning....and with a climatic punchline that usually pivots on double meanings of words or a reversal of expectations" Types of Jokes: Narratives
Practical Bar jokes
Yo' momma jokes
Light bulb jokes How many Russians does it take to screw in a light bulb? One to hold the lightbulb and 11 to drink until the room spins. Earliest recorded joke is almost 4,000 years old Joke that used "toilet humor" http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/jokes%20and%20riddles.htm "In essence, Music Hall brought together a variety of different acts which together formed an evening of light-hearted entertainment." http://www.musichallcds.co.uk/music_hall_history.htm Vesta Tilley (Music Hall comedian) Radio Comedy(1920's-1950's) The 1920's marked the beginning of radio comedy. 1926 the first widely popular radio skits were developed. Sam 'n' Henry popularized as Amos 'n' Andy Routine based on black dialects, which was a popular form of comedic delivery at the time. Program lasted until 1954. http://www.otr.com/comedy.shtml Sitcoms (1940's-present day) 1946 - Pinwright's Progress is the first sitcom to air on tv "J. Pinwright owns the world's smallest multiple-store, but life is far from easy. His attractive daughter, fierce rival, Ralph the deaf octogenarian messenger boy, and members of staff (trying to be helpful) hinder him day-by-day." http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/pinwrights_progress/ 1951-1957 - I Love Lucy is one of the most popular early US sitcoms http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043208/ "A daffy woman constantly strives to become a star along with her bandleader husband and gets herself in the strangest situations." http://www.emmytvlegends.org/blog/?p=5965 1. Comedy is ever-changing, and yet stagnant.
2. It can be used as an effective persuasive technique.
3. More distinctive categories of comedic types become distinguishable. During WWII (1939-1945) 1950's ideal woman Riddles and Proverbs By: Lacy Patton What Is A Riddle? Merriam Webster Definition: a mystifying, misleading, or puzzling question posed as a problem to be solved or guessed Schoemaker Defintion: Question and answer format; the person asking the question already knows the answer, and assumes that the other person does not. What Is A Proverb? Merriam-Webster Definition: a brief popular epigram or maxim Schoemaker Definition: A short, pithy, traditional saying that sums up an argument or point of view Examples http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proverb http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/riddle I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I? Answer: The Letter "e" The person who makes it, sells it. The person who buys it never uses it and the person who uses it doesn't know they are. What is it? Answer: A Coffin http://dan.hersam.com/riddles.html Examples "All that glitters is not gold” – (this means that just because something looks good, does not necessarily mean that it is good.) Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-proverbs.html History Of Riddles - Riddles do not have a specific date of origin, but are thought to have been around for thousands of years. - Archaeologists have found many etchings it cave walls of unique puzzles - Riddles have been used in many countries such as Mongolia, China, Japan, Russia, India, Africa, and Greece http://www.innovateus.net/innopedia/history-riddles History of Proverbs - Proverbs also originated years and year ago. - Proverbs were mainly spread by word of mouth and that is why they are still present today. - Many of the same countries that used riddles, also used proverbs as a way of etiquette. They were thought to have positive advice in their meanings. referat.ilkaddimlar.com/d_word_kurs_other_1105.doc Riddles Today Riddles serve as a way to connect the past to the present by word of mouth. Riddles challenge our cognition and are therefore used as a way to prove that we are a smarter society than in the past. There are several examples of riddles in literature, TV shows, and movies which are shown in the examples that follow. Dora The Explorer: Grumpy Old Troll Batman: The Riddler Stand-up Comedy (1950's-present day) Improvisational Comedy Proverbs Today Proverbs provide society with guidelines. They are used today because we still seek advice about how we should live. The cool thing about proverbs is that they are continuous meaning new ones are created all the time. However, we still recognize some of the ancient proverbs. There are two specific examples that come to mind when one thinks of proverbs. Buddha Bible: Book of Proverbs Sometimes they're' colored, and sometimes they're white. On our tree or our house, the can brighten the night. 1. If you look at numbers on my face you won't find 13 anyplace.
2. Tear 1 off and scatch my head, what once was red is black instead.
3. The 8 of us go forth and back to protect our king from the foes attack.
4. We're 5 little items of an everyday sort, you'll find us all in a tennis court. What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows? Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking
All in mail never clinking "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." Our thoughts are most important. All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 1:7 Our Conclusion... Jokes, Riddles, and Proverbs are all used as a form of entertainment or comic relief. They exist and remain in society because people enjoy laughter and good advice. Lastly, no matter what time period any of these are from, people will always use them in everyday life. Slapstick Comedy A type of physical comedy characterized by broad humor, absurd situations, and vigorous, usually violent action. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548077/slapstick Three Stooges (1934-1959) First seen in Europe in 18th century(Arlecchino) Buster Keaton and Charley Chaplin (1920's-1940's) http://comedyknockout.com/history-slapstick Present Day http://www.threestooges.net/about/index/3 http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~mmagouli/jokes%20and%20riddles.htm http://www.thedramateacher.com/slapstick/ http://bookbuilder.cast.org/view_print.php?book=42401