Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Ricin~
What is Ricin?
-Ricin is perhaps one of the most deadly toxins to br discovered. A single molecule of ricin can kill and entire cell. For the average adult, only 1.78milligrams of ricin is lethal.
Where is it Found?
- Ricin is made within the castor bean plant and can be found in gardens and wild fields all over the world. The seeds are what is laced with the toxin. It would take about 8 of these seeds to provide a lethal dose.
The Structure and Function of Ricin
-Ricin is a 2-part toxin, which means that it is composed of 2 chains. The "A" chain is the toxic section and the "B" section is used as a targeting mechanism. When one becomes poisined, millions of molecules of Ricin bind to the carbohydrates on the surface of a cell, eventually making its way throguh the cytoplasm. Once through the molecules attack the ribosoms, destroying 1500 per minute, eventually killing the cell.