Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
George Gershwin - Composer of the Month - March
Transcript of George Gershwin - Composer of the Month - March
Born in 1898 in New York.
Name is actually Jacob Gershowitz. Parents were immigrants from Russia.
Was the 2nd oldest of 4 children. Would later compose with his brother Ira.
Age 10 - Started learning music. He played the piano.
Age 15 - Left school to work in
New York's "Tin Pan Alley"
Age 17 - Composed and sold his first song.
Jobs: Composed and performed piano rolls. Performed on Vaudeville.
Age 26 - Worked with brother, Ira, for the first time to compose their first musical. Also composed on his own...wrote "Rhapsody in Blue."
Age 29 - He was contracted to compose music for his first movie.
Age 37 - Composed "Porgy and Bess" a very popular folk opera.
Age 37-39: Continued to compose songs for movies and individual works.
Age 39 - Died in Hollywood from
After his death, he was nominated for an Academy Award - Best Original Song for "They Can't Take That Away From Me"