Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of St. Bernadette
By: Shana Shaji St. Bernadette St. Bernadette St. Bernadette Personal Information For this project I have chosen St. Bernadette as my saint. I feel that St. Bernadette is a wonderful saint. She has done many things that make her shine and make her very unique compared from the rest of the Catholic Saints. I feel that she is a role model to many people and now as well as me. I hope that with my presentation you will also be inspired by her. Before St. Bernadette was a saint, she was known as Marie-Bernarde Soubirous, which was her full name. She was born in Lourdes, France on January 7th, 1844. She died on April 16th 1879, at the age of thirty - five. St. Bernadette's feast day is on the day she passed away, which is on April 16th. "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me, a poor sinner"
- Last Words of St. Bernadette In this picture St. Bernadette was at a grotto and she saw a woman who she could not identify. After a few days she finally recognized that is was the Blessed Virgin Mary. St. Bernadette Personal Information The symbol for St. Bernadette is a Lilly which is a symbol of purity. St. Bernadette went through many tough periods in her life, as she was frequently sick. She was born into a humble family, and fell into great poverty. But, no matter what she went through or how tough it was she never complained and she always leaned on God for everything. St. Bernadette is a Patron Saint of many different things. They include: Bodily ills, illness, Lourdes France, people ridiculed for their piety, poverty, shepherdesses, shepherds, sick people, and sickness. The reason she is mainly a Patron Saint of sickness is because at a young age she had become sick and went through a lot of suffering herself. St. Bernadette was canonized December 8th, 1933 by Pope Pius XI. I believe she was canonized because of her special visions. She did not just see Mary once but many times. Also, she became a Saint because of her simplicity and holiness of life. "Love overcomes, love delights.Those who love the Sacred Heart rejoice." - St. Bernadette St. Bernadette Reflection on My Saint There are many reasons why I chose St. Bernadette as my saint. One of the main reasons that I chose her was because I read that her body has still not been decayed through all the years she has been buried. Thirty-one years after she died, people had found her body, and they were all amazed at the sight they saw. When they looked at her she looked the exact same as she did before she died. It is said that her lips still have colour to them, her skin is still the same with the same tone, and her expression is peaceful. I feel that she has to be very blessed and very important for her body to lay exactly the same. I know that for this to happen God must love her very much, and Mother Mary has to still be praying for her. "I can't promise you happiness in this life, but just the next." - Mother Mary This picture shows St. Bernadette, in her glass coffin. If you look closely you can see that she looks like she is just sleeping. St. Bernadette Reflection on My Saint The last reason I chose St. Bernadette is because she was happy with what she had even though her and her family lived in great poverty. Even when people came and offered her money and other things she refused to take it and said she wanted to stay poor. This shows that whether you have one million dollars or one penny, you can still be content. "From this moment on, anything concerning me is no longer of any interest to me. I must belong entirely to God and God alone. Never to myself." - St. Bernadette This illustration is just a portrait of St. Bernadette showing St. Bernadette praying. St. Bernadette Reflection on My Saint Reasons as to why I admire St. Bernadette a lot is that no matter how much she had she was happy with it. Her family fell into extreme poverty, but she knew wealth was not everything. Although, many people offered her gifts and money she declined it, because she knew that she did not need all the materialistic things in life to be satisfied. I also admire St. Bernadette for her compassion for others. When she became a nun she also became sick. Many people had told her to go to Lourdes to be healed but she said no, because she felt that the spring of water was not for her but for everyone else. One of the last reasons that I truly admire her is because she did not listen to what everyone started to say. When she started to see visions of Mother Mary, people laughed and ridiculed her, but she knew that it was true and she did not care what people thought. Even her own mother did not believe her but she stayed true to herself. She knew that something good would come out of this. Psalm 27 vs. 13 - 14: "I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage." "Keep true to your vision" - St. Bernadette St. Bernadette Application As I said in my reflection St. Bernadette was always happy and blessed with what she had, she always cared for everyone, and put them in front of her, and she always stayed strong to her beliefs no matter what anyone said. These are all the qualities that I admire of St. Bernadette. In my daily life I normally take everything I have for granted, thinking about myself, and try to fit in with society. All of us in this class have food, water, shelter and people who love and care for us. All of these things are blessings given to us by God, but we fail to recognize it. I feel that I should be more grateful for what I have, and should not always want more. St. Bernadette Application I try to care for everyone around me, but I don't pay much attention to the people who truly need my help. I will try to donate more to charities and give more to food drives. St. Bernadette never questioned her visions. Everyone got mad at her because they all thought she was lying about her visions. All of us want to please one another and we try to fit in. Sometimes we will change our own opinions so we won't be judged. I will try to always believe in what I think is right and not change it to please everyone. With these characteristics that I admire of St. Bernadette I will try to do the same in my daily life by doing all of those things. St. Bernadette Conclusion Introduction This concludes my presentation of St. Bernadette. I really hope that you have learned a lot about her. I hope that I have also convinced you that St. Bernadette is a wonderful saint and is very unique. "For those with faith no explanation is necessary; for those without faith no explanation is possible." - The Song of Bernadette THANK YOU By: Shana Shaji