Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Guided Reading Essentials
Transcript of Guided Reading Essentials
How do I Manage Guided Reading?
Components of Guided Reading
Managing Guided Reading is Possible!
Our goal is to successfully and effectively teach our students to read independently!
Basic supplies to get started
Guided Reading Lesson Steps
How do I keep track of all of this?
What is everyone else doing?
White boards/ markers
Leveled books 5-6 of each
no more than 50% leveled
Poetry, Newspaper, Magazines
Text structure- practice mini lesson skills
Integrated Reading and Writing activities
* More resources at http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/literacy_centers/
What's your style?
Guided Reading Groups
When planning groups
Language proficiency level (ESL/Bilingual)
When are you meeting?
Keep them small (3-5)
Meet often at least 3X/week or more
Larger groups o.k. (4-6)
Meet less often 2X/week
Read and discuss text
Work on Skills
Extend the text
Set up (blurb)
Preview book/ vocabulary
Listen to students read
Talk about meaning
Use specific skills
taught in mini-lesson
Needs based lessons
Use higher level questioning
Thinking beyond text
Use STAAR question stems
If you use these throughout the year
there's no need for drill & kill!
Running records- progress monitoring,
Checklists- On-going observation
Anecdotal notes- On-going observation