Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Bullying Against Homosexual Youth
Transcript of Bullying Against Homosexual Youth
LGBTQ Youth? Statistics Nationwide and Worldwide Life for Homosexual Youth The Catholic Teaching Scripture References Up until 1992, the World Health Organization regarded homosexuality as a mental illness. The common acronym of LGBTQ refers to Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer individuals. The average age for a LGBT coming out is 16 years old compared to the previous average age of 23. Digit Ratio Studies In Canada, 1.1% of the population is homosexual. Worldwide statistic is unknown, but expected to be around 5%. 5-6% of high school students in North America refer to themselves as LGBT. LGBT Rights Around the World This evaluates to more than 3.5 million LGBT youth in the continent. Gay and Lesbian teens are 50% more likely to use alcohol and three times more like to use marijuana than heterosexual teens. 26% of gay teens that came out to their parents were told they had to leave the home. LGBTQ youth are 4 time more likely to commit suicide than heterosexual youth. Almost two thirds of LGBTQ youth (64%) report feeling unsafe at school. The places in which LGBTQ individuals feel the most unsafe due to more frequent harassment are washrooms and change rooms. Harassment levels in schools:
- 65% are verbally harassed
- 21% are physically harassed
- 41% are sexually harassed The African-American community prefers the acronym SGL (Same Gender Loving). As a way of paying homage to their religion Honoring a lack of scientific "conclusions" Out of childish stupidity
"We are one human family whatever our national, racial, ethnic, economic, and ideological differences. We are our brothers and sisters keepers, wherever they may be. Loving our neighbor has global dimensions in a shrinking world. At the core of the virtue of solidarity is the pursuit of justice and peace. Pope Paul VI taught that if you want peace, work for justice. The Gospel calls us to be peacemakers. Our love for all our sisters and brothers demands that we promote peace in a world surrounded by violence and conflict." Catholic Social Teaching SOLIDARITY CATHOLIC PERSPECTIVE John.34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” 2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They do not choose their homosexual condition; for most of them it is a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition. 2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection. JASON COLLINS Jason Collins, who played with the NBA's Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards this season, has disclosed that he is gay, making him the first active openly gay male athlete in the four major American pro team sports.
"I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different.' If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand," he wrote. The Campaign for Homosexual Equality The Campaign for Homosexual Equality is a democratic voluntary organisation working to change the attitudes and laws that make life difficult for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people Aims of CHE
The aims of CHE are:
• To promote the principle that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are entitled to lead their lives openly without fear.
• To fight for social and legal equality and respect for the human rights of all people irrespective of their sexuality.
• To eradicate prejudice and hostility directed at LGBT people.
• To campaign for improved sex education in schools to eliminate negative attitudes to LGBT people. WHAT CAN WE DO! 1) Be more cautious with your language.
2) Stand up.
3) Spread the word. Thanks for watching!