Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Psychoanalysis- The Tell Tale Heart
Transcript of Psychoanalysis- The Tell Tale Heart
-Unconscious, Behavior, and Childhood
-Id, Ego, Superego
-Defense mechanisms (Regression, projection, repression etc...) of Ego
= Repressed Childhood Desires*
2. Jungian Criticism
-Archetypal Theory of Syzygy
Thesis: Childhood Trauma***
-in the narrator and
-in the author.
Symbols and motifs shaped from repressed desires.
Analyzing The Tell Tale Heart
Analysis - Part 2: Before the murder
Proof of Projections
Analysis - Part 1: Before the murder
Chris, Daniel, Marcus
Psychoanalysis of "The Tell Tale Heart"
Analysis - Part 4: Extra
Edgar Allan Poe represses desires throughout his works (Morella, The Fall of the House of Usher, Tell-Tale Heart)
-married to 13 year old cousin?
Proposal: Story of narrator may not be real! (Defense Mechanism of Projection, Theory of Syzygy, IES)
-Learning about "adult behavior" (developing sexual drives)
-How this relates to childhood
"A watch's minute hand moves more quickly than did mine." (Poe, paragraph 4)
- Police seem to be indifferent and even mocking. How do we explain this behavior?
- Beating of the old man's heart. How does the narrator hear this?
Answer: Projections (of Id, Ego, Superego)
"I admit the deed! -- tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of his hideous heart!" (Poe, paragraph 13)
Sharpened senses as bases of his sanity
Thanks for listening!
-Unspecified gender of the narrator?
"A pale blue eye, with a film over it" (Poe, paragraph 2)
- Narrator repressing madness
" How then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily - how calmly I can tell you the whole story" (par.1)
- Narrator *projects* (Ego) his inner Shadow (Syzygy) unto other's.
-Evil eye triggers Defense mechanisms.
-Narrator is projecting because of childhood events (Regression)
- Perhaps it was an ordinary childhood?
"I thrust it in! I moved it slowly --very, very slowly..." (Poe, Paragraph 3)