Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Psychoanalysis- The Tell Tale Heart
Transcript of Psychoanalysis- The Tell Tale Heart
-Unconscious, Behavior, and Childhood
-Id, Ego, Superego
-Defense mechanisms (Regression, projection, repression etc...) of Ego
= Repressed Childhood Desires*
2. Jungian Criticism
-Archetypal Theory of Syzygy
Thesis: Childhood Trauma***
-in the narrator and
-in the author.
Symbols and motifs shaped from repressed desires.
Analyzing The Tell Tale Heart
Analysis - Part 2: Before the murder
Proof of Projections
Analysis - Part 1: Before the murder
Chris, Daniel, Marcus
Psychoanalysis of "The Tell Tale Heart"
Analysis - Part 4: Extra
Edgar Allan Poe represses desires throughout his works (Morella, The Fall of the House of Usher, Tell-Tale Heart)
-married to 13 year old cousin?
Proposal: Story of narrator may not be real! (Defense Mechanism of Projection, Theory of Syzygy, IES)
-Learning about "adult behavior" (developing sexual drives)
-How this relates to childhood
"A watch's minute hand moves more quickly than did mine." (Poe, paragraph 4)
- Police seem to be indifferent and even mocking. How do we explain this behavior?
- Beating of the old man's heart. How does the narrator hear this?
Answer: Projections (of Id, Ego, Superego)
"I admit the deed! -- tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of his hideous heart!" (Poe, paragraph 13)
Sharpened senses as bases of his sanity
Thanks for listening!
-Unspecified gender of the narrator?
"A pale blue eye, with a film over it" (Poe, paragraph 2)
- Narrator repressing madness
" How then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily - how calmly I can tell you the whole story" (par.1)
- Narrator *projects* (Ego) his inner Shadow (Syzygy) unto other's.
-Evil eye triggers Defense mechanisms.
-Narrator is projecting because of childhood events (Regression)
- Perhaps it was an ordinary childhood?
"I thrust it in! I moved it slowly --very, very slowly..." (Poe, Paragraph 3)