Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of SM Transform Human Interaction
Transcript of Copy of SM Transform Human Interaction
Russell Poldrack, professor of psychology, UCLA
Multitasking & Learning
Problematic Use of SM
The Social Media Age
“The future is already here – it's
just not evenly distributed.”
- William Gibson
Social Media – A Global Phenomenon
Dr. Bu Zhong
HKBU & Penn State
Sept. 5, 2013
Social Media Marketing
1. Social media transform human communication and all businesses based on communication.
2. You cannot afford not understanding social media.
3. If you blink, you'll miss the whole social media era.
Three Messages for Today
Step 1 - Set Plan for Day (5 min)
Step 2 – Refocus (1 min every hr)
Step 3 – Review (5 min)
How to Manage SM?
Researchers say they can actually see the brain struggling. And now they're trying to figure out the details of what's going on.
Harmful to Brain?
Humans don't do lots of things simultaneously. Instead, we switch our attention from task to task extremely quickly.
"People can't multitask very well, and when people say they can, they're deluding themselves. The brain is very good at deluding itself.”
- Earl K. Miller, MIT neuroscientist
HMMs’ inability to filter irrelevant info
HMMs easily distracted (LMMs not)
Inability to manage short-term memory
HMMs are significantly poorer at organizing the useful data they take in.
HMMs = Heavy Media Multitaskers
They are a large and rapidly growing part of the population.
A threat to productivity
People distracted by email and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers. – Research at U of London
“Never in history has the human brain been asked to track so many data points.”
- Dr. Edward Harllowell, 2005
Multitasking and Brain
More people involve in media multitasking
Breast feeding babies watch TV when their moms do so.
Multitasking Up in All Age Groups
Social media rewire our brain?
HMMs show hallmark symptoms mimic those of ADD. – Dr. Hallowell
Limiting multitasking is essential.
ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder
Using two or more streams of unrelated media content simultaneously.
Most Stanford students use 4 media streams, over 20% use 6 or more, 5% use one (Nass, 2010).
Social Media Are a Key
Dr. Bu Zhong
COMM465 - TV reporting
COMM419 - World Media Systems
PSU9 – Social Media for Social Change
COMM597 – Social Media Research Seminar
Decision making in information use
Psychological processes during information use
1. Understanding the power of social media
2. Social media marketing and campaigning
3. Social media and entrepreneurship
4. Critical thinking and beyond