Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of SS8CG5
What are the origins, functions, purposes,
and differences of county and city governments in Georgia.
" Parishes" became "Counties" after the American revolution.
There are 159 counties in Georgia.
What are the similarities and differences between:
weak mayor council
strong mayor council
council manager forms of city government
Weak Mayor Council
-Counties keep track of land ownership,
auto registration, and keep records on marriages.
-Register voters, build/maintain roads, operate local courts.
-the largest function of county governments is the operation of the school system.
-Mayor mostly for show, city council is in charge.
Strong Mayor Council
- Mayor is in charge with the power to hire/fire, run the city and veto city council decisions.
- the purpose of the county governments is to serve people at a local level and provide protection.
- The city manager who runs the city may or may not be mayor. If a mayor, he/she is like a city council mayor.
-Towns and cities are called "municipalities"
- Cities must charge additional taxes to provide additional services.
- more govt. services= more taxes
what is the role of local government working with state agencies to administer state?
Can you describe the functions of special-purpose governments.
Special Purpose Districts: a special government created to serve a specific need
- school districts (most common and most expensive type)
- parks and recreation
- housing authorities
the state government
-Planning & monitoring
-Lawmaking & enforcement