Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SS8CG5
What are the origins, functions, purposes,
and differences of county and city governments in Georgia.
" Parishes" became "Counties" after the American revolution.
There are 159 counties in Georgia.
What are the similarities and differences between:
weak mayor council
strong mayor council
council manager forms of city government
Weak Mayor Council
-Counties keep track of land ownership,
auto registration, and keep records on marriages.
-Register voters, build/maintain roads, operate local courts.
-the largest function of county governments is the operation of the school system.
-Mayor mostly for show, city council is in charge.
Strong Mayor Council
- Mayor is in charge with the power to hire/fire, run the city and veto city council decisions.
- the purpose of the county governments is to serve people at a local level and provide protection.
- The city manager who runs the city may or may not be mayor. If a mayor, he/she is like a city council mayor.
-Towns and cities are called "municipalities"
- Cities must charge additional taxes to provide additional services.
- more govt. services= more taxes
what is the role of local government working with state agencies to administer state?
Can you describe the functions of special-purpose governments.
Special Purpose Districts: a special government created to serve a specific need
- school districts (most common and most expensive type)
- parks and recreation
- housing authorities
the state government
-Planning & monitoring
-Lawmaking & enforcement