Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Why Live in A Danger Zone? The Benefits of Plate Movements
Transcript of Why Live in A Danger Zone? The Benefits of Plate Movements
Mount Etna, Sicily- horseback riding on Etna is popular
Mount Fuji, Japan- National Icon, one of most traveled parts next to Tokyo
Mt St. Helens- National Volcanic Monument
Geysers and Hot Springs Yellowstone National Park
Geothermal energy Geothermal= Heat from within the Earth.The word geothermal comes from the Greek words geo (earth) and therme (heat).Renewable energy source because heat is continuously produced within the Earth. Uses The most active geothermal resources are usually found along major plate boundaries where earthquakes and volcanoes are concentrated. Most of the geothermal activity in the world occurs in the Ring of Fire.
When magma comes close to the surface, it heats ground water found trapped in porous rock or water running along fractured rock surfaces and faults. These features are called hydrothermal. They have two common ingredients: water (hydro) and heat (thermal). More Uses Direct use and district heating systems use hot water from springs or reservoirs near the surface. Electricity generation power plants require water or steam at very high temperature (300° to 700°F). Geothermal power plants are generally built where geothermal reservoirs are located within a mile or two of the surface. Geothermal heat pumps use stable ground or water temperatures near the Earth's surface to control building temperatures above ground. Benefits 1) Geothermal power plants do not burn fuel to generate electricity, so their emission levels are very low.
2) They release less than 1% of the carbon dioxide emissions of a fossil fuel plant. Geothermal plants emit 97% less acid rain-causing sulfur compounds than are emitted by fossil fuel plants.
3) After the steam and water from a geothermal reservoir have been used, they are injected back into the Earth. Valuable Materials Copper, silver, gold and lead are found in extinct volcanoes.
They collect in veins when magma hardens again.
Basalt is used to build roads. Fossil Fuels Plate movements cause lush vegetation to get buried. Over millions of years it turns into coal. They also cause dead sea creatures to get buried- these turn into oil and gas. We depend on these fossil fuels.