Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Chemical Hazard Communication Program

No description

Garrett McGuire Tabb

on 24 September 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Chemical Hazard Communication Program

Chemical Hazard Communication Program
Chemical Hazard Communication Program
Seattle Pacific University
Who is Responsible?
The Assistant Vice President of Facility and Project Management
Responsible for the overall management of the program.
Provide support to Departmental Managers.
Obtain and maintain copies of departmental Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) or Material Safety Data sheets (MSDSs).
Departmental Managers
The following Departmental Managers are responsible for implementing this Program in their department areas:

Art Center Faculty Chair
Athletics Head Trainer
Camp Casey Site Manager
Director of Health Services
Science Lab Manager
Performing Arts Technical Director
Assistant Vice President for Facility and Project Management

The Assistant Vice President of Facility and Project Management is responsible for all other University Departments.
Department Managers must:
Maintain records of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) or Material Safety Data Sheets MSDSs for products used in their areas.
Train Employees on department-specific requirements.
Review SDSs for new products and communicate this information to employees.
Provide and ensure chemical containers are properly labeled.
Human Resources will provide training for this program and maintain training records.

Facility and Project Management will obtain on-campus contractors' SDSs for any products they intend to bring to campus. They will also provide the contractors with information regarding the written Chemical Hazard Communication Plan, SPU's SDSs, and SPU's labeling system.
Other Responsibilities
For your reference, the written Chemical Hazard Communication Program is located:
In each department's Chemical Hazard Communication Program Notebook
On this Blackboard training site
At the Facility and Project Management office
Safety Data Sheets (SDSs), previously known as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs), and a list of Hazardous Chemicals used by the University will be available for review:
At the Safety and Security office, electronically
In each work area, either electronically or hard copies
What Are SDSs?
A Safety Data Sheet (SDS), previously called a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), is a product form that provides important information regarding:
Safe use practices
Chemical properties and reactivity
Potential health effects
Considerations for use, storage, and handling
First aid measures
But how do you read an SDS?
Section 1
Manufacturer Name, Product Name,
Description, and Contact Information
Section 9
What are the properties of the product?
Section 3
What hazardous ingredients are present?

Section 12
What are the environmental effects?
Section 13
How should the substance be disposed?
Are there any special considerations when disposing?
Section 14
Are there any transportation restrictions?
Section 10
Under what conditions is the product stable?
What should not be mixed with this
Container Labeling
First, what is a Secondary Container?
What information should be on container labels?
What if a substance is kept or used in a Secondary Container?
These are containers used to hold a substance that is something other than the original container.
All secondary containers must be labeled with either an extra copy of the original manufacturer's label or with the SPU generic labels.
Food and drink containers should NEVER be used as secondary containers.
Seattle Pacific University's Generic Label
The generic labels can be found in the following locations for printing:
The Facility and Project Management Office
The Chemical Hazard Communication Blackboard course
Emergency Procedure
Call Safety and Security at 206-281-2911 for all on-campus emergencies.
Stop, Think, Act: Seattle Pacific University Emergency Procedures
Please refer to the Stop, Think, Act book located in every office and classroom for detailed information on what to do in an emergency.
What do I do if there is a hazardous material spill?
Evacuate immediately
If you cannot evacuate, go to a protected, interior area where toxic vapors are reduced. Close all windows and doors and seal gaps under doorways and windows with wet towels and duct tape, or similar thick tape.
Call the Office of Safety and Security at 206-281-2911.
Do not attempt to clean up a spill.
Do not touch or step in the spilled materials.
How can I recognize if a hazardous chemical has been released?
What steps has the University taken to lessen the risk of these chemicals?
What physical and health effects can hazardous chemicals cause?
How do chemicals enter the body?
Swallowing the chemical can occur when chemicals:
chemicals rub off your hands and onto foods and drinks
chemicals in the air settle on food and drinks
Breathing in the chemical can occur when gases and vapors are absorbed through your lungs directly into your bloodstream.
Chemicals can pass through your skin and into your body.
The accident prevention and chemical hazard programs are designed to create awareness of the dangers and promote safe practices.
The University substitutes hazardous compounds with less hazardous ones whenever possible.
The Emergency Preparedness Program contains a plan to quickly contain chemical spills and chemical releases to limit harm.
These are just a few of the many health effects that can be caused by hazardous chemicals:
Respiratory Damage
Birth Defects
Genetic Mutations
What if I'm exposed to a chemical?
Immediately call the Office of Safety and Security at 206-281-2911.
Find out what chemical you were exposed to.
Follow the first aid directions on the SDS.
Seek medical attention as needed.
Smell: a scent may be released by the chemical.
There may be a visible open container or spill.
Reaction: you may see or experience a chemical or physical reaction caused by a release.
Hazardous Non-Routine Tasks
If you are required to perform a hazardous non-routine task or to use a new product of which you have not been trained, contact your site-specific administrator, if you have one, or call Facility and Project Management at 206-281-2330 to review:
Specific chemical hazards
Protective and safety measures and equipment
Measures the University has taken to lessen the hazards
Emergency procedures
What is a non-routine task?
Once-a-year maintenance operations involving a special chemical
Science or engineering experiments that involve seldom-used chemicals
Special cleaning situations that require special cleaning products
Art projects involving seldom-used mediums or solvents
Please continue through the Blackboard module, reading through the written plan and completing the quiz.
Section 2
What are the hazards that come with this product?
Section 4
What first aid should be administered?
Section 5
Is the product flammable?
What steps are necessary to put it out?

Section 6
What do you do if the product is released?
Section 8
What kind of protection should be used?
Section 7
How should the product be stored?
Section 11
How toxic is the product?
Section 15
Are there any regulations for this product?
Section VIII.
Is there anything else that I should know?
Labels are not required for temporary portable containers if the chemical is used and controlled by the same employee who performed the transfer within the same shift.
On campus emergencies should be reported to the Office of Safety and Security at 206-281-2911.
To report an off campus emergency, call 911.
If the off-campus emergency involves a University activity, make a report to the Office of Safety and Security at 206-281-2911 when the emergency is over.
Hazard pictograms will now be featured on the labels.
Some materials are exempt and SDSs are not required for them:
Product name
Supplier information
Hazard pictograms and statements of potential dangers
Purpose: As a Seattle Pacific University Employee you have the right to know about hazards you may be exposed to as part of your work assignment. This training fulfills the requirements of Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 296-901-140, Hazard Communication. Washington State regulations require employees be notified about hazardous chemicals in the workplace through container labeling, Safety Data Sheets/Material Safety Data Sheets, and training.
Does this rule apply to me?
Many employees perform work in offices. These employees' only "chemical exposure" would be when using items which are packaged as "consumer products" (such as pens, markers, furniture polish, glass cleaner, etc.) and use them similarly to typical consumer use. These employees must complete this general training about the University's HazCom program and their rights when they are hired.

Some employees use chemicals more frequently, such as a person using art supplies to make posters on a weekly basis or a person assigned to clean items all work shift using a common household cleanser. Some employees work where chemicals are stored, but do not use chemicals. Some employees do not handle chemicals but often walk through chemical work areas (like laboratories). These employees must complete this general training and receive additional specialized hazard communication training from their supervisor.
The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries requires that SDSs be available to employees for potentially harmful substances handled in the workplace under the Hazard Communication regulation.
Consumer products used as a typical consumer would, like spray cleaner for cleaning desktops/furniture, highlighter pens for marking documents, etc.
Food, beverages, drugs (like pills in First Aid Kits).
Let's take a look at this SDS for whiteboard cleaner as an example.
The use of certain chemicals may trigger other state requirements.
Waste Best Management Practices
SPU's waste management program complies with Washington State regulations and the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
University laboratories and research groups have procedures in place to properly dispose of chemical and biological waste.
Chemicals, batteries, fluorescent light tubes/bulbs, and mercury-containing thermometers require special handling and should not be placed in trash bins, nor disposed of down the drain.
If you have questions about how to dispose of something, call Facilities and project management at 206-281-2330
Full transcript