Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
West Memphis Three Case
Transcript of West Memphis Three Case
Three Case By: Emily Aguirre (Timeline) Damien Echols
Was a teenager going
through the gothic phase. He suffered from mild depression, nothing more. He also listened to Metallica, dressed in black and read Stephan King novels. The red necks in his town believed that if you did any of these things, you were considered a devil worshipper. Jason Baldwin Background Story Citations Victims Sketches Time Line: May 5, 1993 *3 8-year old boys went missing May 6, 1993 -The 3 boys' bodies were found in a creek known as: Robin Hood Hills -The bodies were found beaten and hogtied with their shoe laces May 7, 1993 -The police interviewed Damien Echols about the crime. May 9, 1993 - They interviewed David Echols again with his girlfriend at the time along with Jason Baldwin. May 10, 1993 - The police interviewed Damien Echols at the West Memphis Police Department. June 3, 1993 -After being interviewed by the police for hours, mentally challenged, Jesse Misskelly confessed himself, Baldwin, and Echols to the murder. - They were then arrested. -Later, Jesse recants his confession February 4, 1994 - A jury in Clay County Circuit court convicts Misskelley of 1st degree murder sentencing him to life in prison plus two 25-year terms. March 18, 1994 -Baldwin and Echos are found guilty of capital murder by Jury in Jonesboro. March 19, 1994 - Circuit Judge David Burnett sentences Echols to dies by lethal injection and Baldwin was sentenced to life without parole. April 7, 1994 - Damien Echols was a suspect due to checking out "suspicious" books from the public library and copying off dark pages from the likes of William Shakespeare - The jury and judge decided that was enough proof of evidence to plead him guilty June 22, 1996 - They started making a documentary about this case called "Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills" June 22, 2000 They made a second documentary called "Paradise Lost 2: Revelations" - it examines the movement and new evidence on the case. July 19, 2007 - They recently had done DNA testing on items that were found at the scene with the bodies for the first time. December 18, 2007 - Supporters around the world presented to the Government with hundreds of postcards asking for their pardon.
- The Governor says he will not pardon the "three" or commute their sentences. January 20, 2010 - After many years of asking for trials, the judge still denies their request. August 28, 2010 -Supporters stage a concert to raise awareness for the case with the performances of Johnny Depp, Ben Harper, and other celebs. September 30, 2010 - The Arkansas Supreme Court determined whether there should be an evidentiary hearing for a new trial. -They are then granted access to DNA testing and possible relief for those wrongly convicted of crime. October 7, 2010 - Former State Sen. Kevin Smith and D-Helena stated that the law says that they should be allowed a new trial or venue for post-conviction relief in cases just like this one. November 4, 2010 -The state supreme court orders a new circuit court evidentiary hearing for the three convicted. - The court has to consider all the evidence including past and present this also includes DNA evidence. February 18, 2011 - The WM3 attorneys hoped to have a hearing in the Arkansas Supreme court in whether they should receive a new trial. -The defendants asked for new DNA testing including skin samples, clothing sames, etc. from the victims. They also wanted to call as witness one of the fathers and a friend of one of the victims. - The 3 convicted asked Forensic Scientists for a consideration of the false statements made about a supposed confession by Damien Echols. August 19, 2011 - In a rarely used plea arrangement known as an "Alford Plea" Baldwin, Echols, and Misskelley plead guilty to murder while still maintaining their innocence. Judge Laser released them with time served and a suspended 10-year sentence. (Damien Echols) (Damien Echols) http://wm3truth.com/damien-echols-profile/ Why was Damein Echols a suspect? Dale Griffis holds up a drawing by Damien Echols in court. Griffis testified that this drawing represented a confused mix of symbology, with the five pointed star pointing upward representing goodness (as opposed to a star pointing downward which represented evil). The crosses were said to be inverted and signs associated with Satanism. Age: 17 Age 16 On May 5, 1993, three 8-year old boys were reported missing. (Steve Branch, Michael Moore, and Christopher Byers) The first report was made by Chris Byers adoptive father; John Mark Buyers at 7:00pm- he had last seen the 3 boys with Steve's stepfather- Terry Hobbs at 6:00 that evening. Terry Hobbs later denied seeing the boys at all that day. A police search for the 3 boys began at 8:00am the next morning on May 6th. The Crittenden County Search, Rescue Personel, and others helped. They mostly searched the RobinHood Hills because that is where the boys were last seen. At approx. 1:45pm a parole officer found a shoe floating in a muddy creek that led to a drainage canal in RobinHood Hills. They had found the 3 eight-year old boys. "They were stripped naked and had been hogtied with their own shoelaces: their right ankles tied to their right wrists behind their backs, the same with their left limbs. Their clothing was found in the creek, some of it twisted around sticks that had been thrust into the muddy ditch bed. The clothing was mostly turned inside-out; two pairs of the boys' underwear were never recovered. Christopher Byers also had deep lacerations and injuries to his scrotum and penis, most likely caused by post-mortem animal predation." Description of how the bodies were found: (Background Story) http://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/baldwin-jason.htm The Arkansas medical examiner determined that Byers died of blood loss, and Moore and Branch drowned. Later, a medical examiner for the defense determined that the boys had been killed between 1:00 am and 5:00 am on May 6, 1993. Jesse Misskelley Life After Death... (Life After Death) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/us/west-memphis-three-a-year-out-of-prison-navigate-new-paths.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 DAMIEN ECHOLS After spending 2 decades confined for 23 hours a day, he could barly walk when he got out. He became a Zen Buddhist and married Lorri Davis- a landscape architect who became the driver behind the effort to free him. Damien Echols moved to New York and wrote "Life After Death". He also got matching tattoos with his friend Johnny Depp. JASON BALDWIN Jason Baldwin taught classes to other inmates while he served a life sentence. He is now working toward a law degree in Seattle. He is deeply in love with Holly Ballard- a long time supporter who wrote and visited him regularly. He is listed as an executive producer on "Devil's Knot" - a future film shot in the Atlanta area over the summer. JESSE MISSKELLEY Back then, was a hard-partying teenager with a low IQ and who's shaky confession led to their conviction- has now moved back to his old Arkansas neighborhood to be near his father. He became engagged to a woman with 2 children and began to study auto mechanics. "ALFORD PLEA" In an Alford Plea, the defendent doesnt admit to the crime, but admits that the prosecution could likely prove the charge. The court denounces the defendant guilty. A defendant making an Alford Plea maintains his innocence of the offense charged. One reason for making such a plea, is to avoid being convicted on a more serious charge. (alford plea) (Alford Plea) http://definitions.uslegal.com/a/alford-plea/ Jason Baldwin was Damien Echols' best friend. Jason Baldwin was mainly judged by hanging out with Damien Echols and how he was bad influence on him. In school he mostly had C's and D's but every David Echos did have
psychiatric problems but
no specific evidence was
found to blame him for
the murder. now and then, an A or B. Jason Baldwin had a lot of problems at home; such as his mother suffering from mental illness and his mother trying to commit suicide. He was a 9th grade dropout. He worked odd jobs. He lived in a trailer, got wasted most days, and had tattoos like "FTW", "NWA" and "Bitch". Plus a skull dagger.
Jesse Misskelley had numerous run-ins with the law enforcement, He liked to fight and beat up people younger than him. (Jesse Misskelley)
http://wm3truth.com/jessie-misskelley-profile/ (Jason Baldwin)
http://wm3truth.com/jason-baldwin-profile/ (Damien Echols) http://wm3truth.com/damien-echols-profile/