Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Syrian Civil War
Transcript of Syrian Civil War
Syrian Militia (Citizen Soldiers)
The Protestors Of Syria Become A Militia
➢ Residents of the city said gangsters from the Shabiha.
a. Drawn from the president's Alawite sect of Shia Islam, roared through the streets firing at protesters from their vehicles and later took up sniper positions on rooftops.
b. "Assad's gangs were shooting in Latakia and they had cars armed with machine guns," one opposition activist said.
➢ The violence prompted the regime to play up fears of a sectarian divide.
estimated to be 2,476,860 refugees
only 2,429,146 registered refugees
refugees currently staying at Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Sweden, Germany, Libya, Italy, and Bulgaria
the country with the most refugees is Lebanon with 867,431 registered refugees
there are still about 6 million people needing rescue inside the country
Monday, February 17, 2014
Vol XCIII, No. 311
How the Syrian Civil War Began
FRIENDLY FIRE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
MOST REFUGEES ARE CHILDREN
In 2011 in the Syrian city of Derra
15 school childern were arrested/tortured for writing graffiti on a wall
Locals protested on streets against Bashar al-Assad
At first they were peaceful protesters (who wanted greater freedom for people in the country)
President Bashar al-Assad angrily
responded to the protestors by sending a
group of government soldiers to open fire
on them (4 Protestors died)
People shocked/angry and the horrible event spread throughout other countries
Protestors wanted al-Assad to resign
But he refused
al-Assad tried fixing his mistakes by
changing things in the country
No one forgave what al-Assad did
Syrian Civil War
➢ Up to 21 people were reportedly killed as violence.
➢ International condemnations after scores of unarmed protesters were killed in and around the southern border city of Daraa last week.
➢ At least circumstantial credence to rumors of a government rift in how to respond to the crisis.
➢ Militia said “to be controlled by members of the Assad family was deployed in Latakia with orders to kill.”
➢The president ostensibly disbanded the Sabiha, which gained notoriety for the brutal way it enforced a protection racket in Letikia in the 1990s.
Chemical Weapons Used During The Civil War
2) The United Nations estimates more than 100,000 deaths between presidency
1) Violence in Syria started in March of 2011
3) Difficulty stared in 2011 in the Syrian city of Deraa
10) Syria government denies that they are the ones that did the chemical weapon attack, but the government actually did do it
9) al-Assad blamed the "rebels for the chemical attack
8)Discussions over what the rest of the world should do about the chemical weapons
4) August of 2013, a chemical attacked outside Damascus
5) The chemical attack caused international outrage
7) People began to protest because 15 students got arrested
6) Killed four people out of 15 protester
-The five premanent members of the UN security council reached an agreement on a resolution to elminate syria's stockpiles of chemicha