Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Database Management Systems
Transcript of Database Management Systems
Do you agree with this statement?
"Data is power."
Why or why not?
is a collection of related data or facts.
So, does a database have to be digital?
What type of database do you have at home that is not digital? You probably have three or four and never look at them.
database management system
(DBMS) is a software tool that allows people to store, access, and process data or facts into useful information.
A database is made up of fields, records and tables.
is a single unit of data. Fields make up records.
is a complete set of fields. Records make up tables.
store information in a database.
It is a group of records.
has only one table. A phone book would be a good example.
is a database made up of a set of tables. A common field in any two tables creates a
between the tables.
Here's a real-life example:
- NGA (all information for the entire campus)
- Profile, Gradebook, Class Schedule, Course History, Health, Discipline
- each student is a record
- last name, first name, ID#, date of birth, social security number, address, city, state, zip code, mother's name, father's name, home phone number, cell phone number, email address, etc.
- Food for Pot-Luck Social
- Meal, Drinks, Dessert
- each dish or drink
- name of dish, who made it, ingredients, keep it warm or cold?, return the dish?, etc.
Data management falls into one of three general categories:
Entering data into the database
Sorting the data - arranging or reordering the database's records
Obtaining subsets of the data
to get a subset of records from a table is by using a
works just like a coffee filter. It keeps out what you don't want (the grounds) and gives you what you do want (coffee).
An Access database has 4 main
is used to enter records into a table. It is a custom view of the table and usually shows only one record on the screen at a time.
is a group of records. It stores information in the database.
asks a question. It is used to locate records, perform calculations, delete obsolete records and other database management tasks.
There are several types of fields:
Text fields - alphanumeric characters
Numeric fields - only numbers
Date or Time fields
Logical fields - yes or no
Binary fields - for graphics
Counter fields - autonumber or unique ID
Memo Fields - description
When data is entered into a field a
can be used to control the entry's display format. You could have a
for a telephone number. Type in 9729374780 and it would apear as (972) 937-4780 in your table.
There are three
- an English-like query language
- generic query language derived from DBase
- Query By Example - graphic interface, used in Access - specify the search criteria by typing values or expressions into the fields of QBE form or grid.
We'll be using Microsoft Access but there are other database programs available such as:
So what careers are database-related?
Help desk personnel
Product support specialists
is printed information
created from a query.