Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Writing a suspense story at KS2
Transcript of Copy of Writing a suspense story at KS2
(the problem / dilemma).
LO: I will be better at creating suspense in my story.
photo credit Nasa / Goddard Space Flight Center / Reto Stöckli
Talk to your partner
What is Suspense?
Suspense is a technique that a
writer uses to make the reader feel
- desperate to know what happens next!
It's fun to feel scared when you know that
it's all a story ...
How to create suspense
1. Use short sentences to build up the tension
2. Use ellipsis (…) to create the "What happens next?" moment!
3. Use simile and metaphor to describe
Listen to writer Malorie Blackman
talking about how she creates tension
in her writing
The floorboards groaned like a menacing beast. His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured. He could feel the eyes watching him from dark corners ...
like a menacing beast
What happens next? The ellipsis creates excitement.
Eyes watched him from dark corners ...
4. Is there something hidden in the darkness? Can you keep your reader guessing about what is there ...
5. Use powerful verbs like crept, whispered, raced ...
His heart pounded. His hands shook. Sweat poured
Take a moment to consider this scene. Create a suspenseful paragraph with your table group using some of the techniques we have talked about so far.
- short sentences
- simile and metaphor
You are going to listen to a piece of music.
You are the wolf in your story.
What has happened?
Feelings - use all your senses
Phrases or words to create suspense
Short sentences to create tension
What hidden sounds can the crew of the space rocket hear?
How is the creature moving?
What should the problem / dilemma include?
What words or phrases could be used to create suspense?
Talk with your partner.
Out of the corner of his eye the wolf saw another glimpse of colour flashing by. What was it ..?
Suddenly he was falling. He felt a thud as he hit the ground. Everything went dark. He was scared. He felt a sharp pain in his paw as he tried to stand up. Cautiously he looked around to try to find a way out. The pit was as dark as night. It smelt damp. He was filled with panic as he realised he was trapped underground.
In alarm he heard voices from above.
"We've got him! Get the cage."
From the shadows above he could see the humans moving around. He felt uneasy. What did they want with him...?
Without warning he was lifted out of the pit and thrown into the small, icy cold cage. He held his breath as he waited to see what would happen next.