Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Hibernation overview
80 beats/min torpor
8 beats/min arousal
15 beats/min 240 beats/min BHB, beta-hydroxybutyrate;
MCT1, monocarboxylic acid transporter 1;
PDK4, pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 4;
SCOT, succinyl CoA transferase;
TCA cycle, tricarboxylic acid cycle. Andrews M T et al. (2009) Model showing the mechanism of β-hydroxybutyrate utilization and glucose conservation
in the heart and brain during hibernation. reducing excitotoxicity preventing oxidative stress reducing post-ischemic inflammation Maintenance and regeneration
of synapses Resistance to ichemia and reperfusion Resistance to cardiac arrest Maintenance of bone density during torpor Thank you!