Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Racial Microaggressions
Negates reality of People of Color
Minimizes the feelings and experiences of a person of color
Example: "We are all human beings"
Alien in own land
Ascription of intelligence
Denial of individual racism
Myth of meritocracy
Pathologizing cultural behaviors
What Kind of Asian Are You?
Convey hidden insulting message
Demeans racial heritage
Can occur nonverbally
Example: Asking a person of color "how did you get your job?"
Caprice Hollins, Psy.D.
Cross Cultural Connections, LLC
Usually in Private
Open: Lose Control
Example: Serving a white person before serving a person of color; Using the "N" word
Dr. Dre Beats Commercial feat. Richard Sherman
Source: Sue, D.W., Capodilupo, C.M., Torino, G.C., Bucceri, J., Holder, A.M.B., Nadal, K.L., Esquilin, M. Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Implications for Clinical Practice. American Psychologist. 2007 vol. 62, No. 4
Andrea Paull, M.Ed.