Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
College Admissions Presentation
Transcript of College Admissions Presentation
Laying Down the Foundation on How to be Successful when Working with Minority Students & their Families
When you are talking to someone, what are some of the reasons why they might not be listening to you?
College Board Research
21.8% of African American males hold an associate's degree or higher, as compared to 70.1% of Asian American and 45.8% of white American males.
45% of African American & 51% of Hispanic minority males age 15-24 are unemployed, incarcerated or dead.
1. Reform education to ensure college and career readiness.
2. Enhance cultural and gender responsive training.
3. Culturally appropriate retention programs.
Love family, food and music
Use those to your advantage!
Issues that continue to plaque black communities are:
SES, community violence, education, incarceration, drugs, single motherhood
Respect their values
Build rapport- attend Church services, community events
Noise in environment
Going into your respective jobs, school counseling specially, some of you might be
...when it comes to applying these ideas.
Spider Web: (n). A network of relationships where everyone is richly informed about the college-going process and is able to support the student.
What do you suppose is one of the strongest determining factors in whether or not a student applies and actually enrolls in college?