Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
parabolic equation basketball
Transcript of parabolic equation basketball
Definition of vertex - the highest point; the top or apex.
Omar throws a basketball from the basketball hoop. The quadratic equation that models the path of the ball is p(t)= -16t^2 + 20t + 6. If it is 10 feet high, how long is the ball in the air before the ball goes through the hoop?
Solve -16t^2+20t+6 = 10
-16t^2 + 20t-4 = 0
4t^2 - 5t + 1 = 0
(4t-1)(t-1) = 0
t = 1/4 or to = 1
The ball is at height of 10 ft after 1/4 second (before it
reaches its peak height) and after 1 second (when it hits the basket).
Answer: 1 second
Draw the picture.
The ball starts at a height of 6 ft., reaches and peak height, then
descends to the basket at a height of 10 ft.
finding the parabolic path of the basketball
real world parabola basketball
definition of a parabola