Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Philosophical Language
2) Sense without reference?
3) References and context
4) Descriptivist/Non Descriptivist
5) Knowledge and sense. - Problems with Identity
- Proper names
- Analytic and Apriori - Understand the connection
- Reference without sense
- Proper names
- Problems Sense without Reference - In usual language,
reference remains the same
- Direct/indirect reference and
- "The indirect reference of a word
is accordingly its customary sense" Reference that changes according to context - Is it accurate to say that if sense presents the reference, then there can be no sense without reference?
- How plausible is it for references of expressions to change given their context?
-To what extent, if any, does sense depends upon the knowledge or rationality of users of the language? Some basics.. A B C - Same Qualities - different designations
- Intersection of AB = Intersection of BC
- Sense contains mode of description Descriptivist/Non Descriptivist - Connotation and Denotation
- Straight lines
- Cats and Felines have the same connotation and denotation
- Different senses ... Feline meaning "tigers" and cats meaning "house cats" Sense that relies on knowledge or rationality of users - Discriptive view and Russell's objection
- Sense requires surrounding knowledge
- Almost like infinite regression - one part requires knowledge of the other
- Don't get confused! Sense is objective - no emotions involved morning star = evening star = The morning star is the same as the evening star A = B