Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of ezra-nehemiah
1. These two books were originally considered one work called Ezra-Nehemiah
2. Later they get separated (this leads to confusion); also the order of books gets inverted
3. These books recount the history of the Israelites after the Babylonian Exile
4. The people go back to the land of Israel in waves with the blessing of the Persian King (Ezra 1) Recap: united monarchy -> divided monarchy ->Northern Kingdom falls to Assyrians (722) -> Southern Kingdom falls to Babylonians (586) -> Babylonian Exile (ends 539) ->Persian rule britishmuseum.org 1. First part of the book deals with the rebuilding of the temple
- there is some opposition (recall 2 Kings 25)
2. Second part of the book deals with some of the problems in the land
- people need to be taught and governed by Ezra
- problem of mixed marriages - 9-10 (one of the most problematic areas in the Old Testament [Deut. 7] , but compare with Ruth) 1. There is actually more about the person of Ezra in the book of Nehemiah than in the book of Ezra
2. Whereas Ezra deals with the rebuilding of the temple, Nehemiah deals with the rebuilding of the gates
3. Rebuilding of the gates grants some sense of semi-independence