Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Author's Purpose
By Henri Whitehead
- the author's starting viewpoint, or outlook, or preconceived ideas.
Try to put yourself in the author's shoes.
Would you react the same way?
Any past experiences, biases, or gains?
- shows the author's attitude toward a subject.
tone conveys good feelings about a topic. They show approval.
tone communicates bad feelings about the topic. It might show sadness, anger, cynicism, bitterness, sarcasm, weariness, hate, disgust, or a number of other negative emotions.
tone is neither positive nor negative. They avoid words that express feeling.
- conveys the author's approval or disapproval of a subject.
: the tone is overly positive or harshly negative
: the tone is neutral.
stories are meant to entertain even if they teach a lesson.
- who does the author want to deliver his message to.
You probably use a different tone in a letter to your boyfriend than a letter to your principal.
- sometimes the author will hint at an opinion
Sometimes the author will even keep the tone neutral while hinting at strong feelings.
- the sentence structure and word choice that the author uses.
Nothing is written by chance.