Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
8th Grade Argumentative Essay
Transcript of 8th Grade Argumentative Essay
1. Locker/Backpack Searches: The principal at your school has instituted random locker and backpack/book bag searches to check for guns, knives, and other weapons. Anyone caught with these weapons will be immediately suspended. The principal argues that the random searches will not only guard against illegal weapons at school but will also help students feel safer. Consider carefully the advantages and disadvantages of random searches at school. Do you agree or disagree with this policy?
2. Library Censorship: Your school library has come under criticism for allowing patrons under the age of 18 to check out books that some consider unacceptable. The books are either inappropriate, describe graphic violence, or use questionable language. As parents have complained, the town council has considered removing all questionable books from the library. Consider the advantages and/or disadvantages of this action. What is your position on this issue?
4. Later Start Times: Current research suggests that because teenagers have different sleep patterns, they would benefit from beginning the school day at a later time. Suppose your Board of Education has proposed that the school day begins at 9:30 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. Do you agree or disagree that this later schedule would be beneficial?
3. Online Classrooms: The state department of education has provided funding for an experimental online school. All the classes will take place on the Internet, using email, online chat, and the internet. The students taking classes at this new online school will never meet each other face-to-face. They will only interact online with each other and with their teachers. Consider the advantages and/or disadvantages of an online school. What is your position on this issue?
5. Extracurriculars: Imagine that your school district has proposed saving money by eliminating extracurricular sports from the high school program. Think about the possible effects of cutting sports from the school program. Decide whether you are for or against this proposal.
6. Community Service: Many schools require all students to perform some type of community service such as working in nursing homes or hospitals. Think about how you would feel if you were required to do so.
7. Longer School Day: The school board of your district is considering making the school day longer by adding an extra hour. The purpose for lengthening the school day is to provide more time for instruction. They believe that greater student achievement can be achieved by making the school day longer. They point out that there are experts in the field of education who agree with them. The school board is seeking input from all community members. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of lengthening the school day by an hour.
8. Recess: Your school does not currently provide a recess for students. Consider the advantages and disadvantages of recess.
List a few topics that stuck out to you...
You will select ONE for an essay.
Take some time to look through the handout.
You will be selecting one of the
following topics for your persuasive
essay. While you watch this presentation
please write down any topics that stick out
to you. It's better to have a few selected than
Please take out one piece
of notebook paper and label
it: Argumentative Essay