Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Urban Planning and Ecology
Transcript of Urban Planning and Ecology
3 Major aspects
-Poor living environment
What can be done by the government?
Administrative and legislative measures
Urban Planning and Environment
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
What is Urban Planning ?
尸Is the current urban planning in HK environmental friendly enough?
i) Statutory Plans
- Consideration and evaluation was done for the designs of specific projects at the very beginning
- Under Town Planning Ordinance
- Broad land use of every district , includes: residential , commercial , industrial...
- For large but discrete projects
e.g. require EIA for some projects
- Prepared by planners which should promote the health, safety and general welfare of the community (Town Planning Ordinance ,2012)
Tung Chung New Town
- Target capacity : 220,000
- Plot ratio : 5 - 6
- Average levels of buildings
- Distance between buildings
Tung Chung Crescent
High density buildings
High air pollution
- Mismatch of resources
- Includes *Outline Zoning Plans & Development Permission Plans
- Complete bicycle tracks
- Poor ancillary equipment
- Little parking space
- No advanced stop line
- No clear segregation from vehicles
I) Extension of Tung Chung new town
- Objective: capacity
- Large scale reclamation : 120 +14 = 134 ha
Reclamation extent in Tung Chung East
Reclamation extent in Tung Chung West
- Loss of food
- Possible extinction
- Cumulative reclamation area
- Exacerabate pollution
*Hierarchy of town plans
- To cope with forecast expansion in housing, employment, population and transport demands
*i) Territory Development Strategy (TDS)
*ii) Sub-regional structure plans
- Formulate territory-wide land use infrastructure development
- Redefining environmental planning and powers
- Setting stricter guidelines and rules
- Industrial redevelopment
- Includes environmental objectives
Introduce Environmental Auditing
- Reviewing policies periodically
e.g. SSSI in DPA and some OZP are now omitted or with boundaries incorrectly shown
e.g EIA -> statutorily obligatory policy
e.g. Kwun Tong & Hung Hom
e.g. PD <-> EPD
- Continuous monitoring of projects with significant environmental implications
- Explore improvement
- Enforce commitment in environmental management
environmental objectives should be given priority over economic ones
-Preservation of Natural Resources
-E.g. in Hong Kong, Chinese White Dolphins and HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge
Poor Urban Design
-Ventilation of (fresh/polluted) air
-Urban Environmental Degration
Poor general living condition
Burden on Public Health Services
Brings physical and mental impact to people
Economically harmed due to lowered productivity (PS Also by poor image if the city)
Habitat at stake for the construction
- Greening since 1960s initiated by Lee Kwan Yew
- From "Garden in a City" to "City in a Garden"
- Development that improves the long-term social and ecological health of cities and towns (Wheeler, 2004)
Compact, efficient land use;
Less automobile use, yet better access;
Efficient resource use; less pollution and waste;
The restoration of natural systems
Good housing and living environments
A healthy social ecology
A sustainable economy;
Community participation and involvement
preservation of local culture and wisdom
Initiated back in 1998
- To what extent do you think urban planning can help protect the environment?
- How can we strike a balance between development and environmental protection through urban planning?