Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Race & Poverty
Transcript of Race & Poverty
By: Jasmine Stewart & Chance Strawser
A) Blacks and Latinos are more likely to affect non-dominant groups that have been historicaly oppressed.
B) It will be difficult for non- dominant groups to move beyond these circumstances because race is a factor that is often connected to poverty through a lifetime.
C) The only circumstance that are within control of the individual are household and family structure. Examples of institutionalized barriers to success are education, health, and geography. When you are in poverty, you are more than likely going to have to depend on government assistance for help.
3) African Americans top 5 classes are english, literature, english language, U.S. history, U.S. Government and political, and psychology.
AP Class ratings have rose for african americans.
Higher passing rate
advanced classes (CP & AP)
2) From the list constructed, advanced classes, pathways, tutoring, athletics, leadership programs, and college recruits are educational advantages, that we have. Without them I think students succeeding in school and beyond is a low percentage because without tutoring, kids couldn't get the help that they need academically, Without pathways, we wouldn't have insight to career options. Also, if we didn't have leadership programs, the students who aren't athletic would have less scholarship advantages. Without athletics, kids will be most likely get into more trouble, and end up not going to college, because of money, and they would lack motivation. The advanced programs have been around for years, and i also think it pushes upperclassmen to work towards bigger goals.
4)What process is used to fill AP classes (long-term tracking of students, counseler recomendations communications with families, recruitment nights?)
Grades, teacher reccomendations, writing samples, passed OGT'S, and other courses, and applications are all factors in being accepted into AP classes.
5) I reccomend that our school has more leadership programs and a wider variety of AP classes, to assure access to AP and other advanced classes regardless of the students personal resources.