Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Moral Diplomacy
What is Moral Diplomacy + how did it come about?
Moral Diplomacy is a system that was proposed by Woodrow Wilson when he was elected president in 1912. The diplomacy gives support to countries whose moralities or moral beliefs are similar of that to the United States. Wilson uses this to give support to democratic nations and he encouraged to expand democracy throughout the world. It came about because Wilson opposed imperialism and dictatorships. He believed in order to terminate the idea of imperialism, democracy would have to spread. He was also influenced by "exceptionalism", it was a belief that the U.S was different from other countries and that it's mission was to spread liberty and democracy and was also influenced by World War 1.
What was the result of Moral Diplomacy?
- Reverse Roosevelt's big stick policy + Taft's dollar diplomacy
- Wanted to stabilize the Caribbean and Latin America during World War I, without a lot of American involvement.
Wilson Attempts to Spread "Moral Diplomacy"
-Wilson and William J.Bryan wanted to base their policies on moralities.
-Reversed "Dollar Diplomacy" and "Big Stick Policies"
A. Cutting off financial support in countries who depended on Taft's diplomacy
Positives and Negatives:
- Provided a healthy economic atmosphere.
- By opposing imperialism, it automatically portrayed the US as a grand supporter of human rights.
-Spread democracy throughout the world.
- Wilson was the effective voice of "democracy" in Latin America.
- The US was taking on nations to force American interests on them.
- Caused tension between the United States and other nations due to U.S forced involvement in their system of government.
-The U.S unintentionally displayed examples of imperialism.
-Used aggressive moral diplomacy to ensure the expansion of democracy
Quang Tran + Deja Gibson + Landon Kirkwood
- Mexico under controlled by Huerta 1913-1914
- Wilson helped rebels
- Stopped illegal arms import from German merchants to Huerta
-U.S troops in Mexico damaged their relationship
- U.S troops took Vera Cruz, weakened Huerta control and left power to Venustiano Carranza (Wilson recognized as a leader).
- Too unrealistic and was not successful through out the nations.
- More american involvement in Latin American affairs than any other president.