Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


International Student Orientation 2012


Deborah Kaltman

on 7 January 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of International Student Orientation 2012

International Student Orientation 2012 Employment Immigration Travel Welcome to NU! presented by
The International Office
@ Northwestern University CAESAR Student Information Portal NU Resources Student groups Welcome! The IO provides information and advising for F-1 and J-1 international students.

We also plan a series of programming designed to help you adjust to and enjoy life at Northwestern! BUT: It is your responsibility to maintain your valid F-1 or J-1 visa status while in the United States. IO Info Or: how do I maintain my status? The IO welcomes you to Northwestern! IO check in Maintain valid documents Passport
I-20 or DS-2019
Visa stamp
I-94 (white departure card)

You will have multiple I-20s or DS-2019s... keep all original documents!!!
Make copies of the above documents and keep them in a safe place.
We recommend you make paper and digital copies. Make continual progress Do: Don't: Remain a full-time student
Enroll in 3 or more classes Drop below full-time status
Take a leave of absence without speaking to your IO advisor first! Think ahead! Report changes I-20/DS-2019 extensions may be available
You must request this in advance!
We can't extend your I-20 or DS-2019 after it has expired.
Check your end date carefully and think ahead! Please tell your IO advisor if you:
Need to change academic level or academic program
Transfer to another U.S. institution.
Plan to graduate early Definition: any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, or any other benefit. This includes unpaid internships. On-campus employment Employment for dependents F-2 dependents J-2 dependents F-1 & J-1 F-1 J-1 Off-campus employment Allowed!
20 hours/week max during the quarter
20+ hours allowed during breaks/summer Before you leave the U.S., make sure you have all your necessary re-entry documents:
Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
Unexpired F-1/J-1 visa stamp with unused entries
Valid I-20/DS-2019 with a current travel signature

Travel signatures are valid for 12 months Plan ahead! Advisor signs here SAMPLE SAMPLE Advisor signs here Spouse & Family Services Office locations and walk-in hours
Evanston: 630 Dartmouth Place
Walk-in hours:
Monday-Thursday, 10am-1pm; 2-4pm.

Chicago: 710 North Lake Shore Drive,
Abbott Hall, Room 1012
Wednesdays, 9am – 12pm; 1 – 4:00pm

Check the IO website for schedule changes http://www.northwestern.edu/international
Like us on Facebook! www.northwestern.edu/international/about/spouse-and-family.html
Visit this website for information on:
Opportunities at NU for spouses/families to meet
Events in and around Chicago and Evanston
Quarterly programming for spouses/families Sign up for our spouse and family listserv!
email listserv@listserv.it.northwestern.edu
Leave the subject blank.
In the body of the message, write:
subscribe INTFAMILY firstname lastname http://www.northwestern.edu/caesar/ In CAESAR, you can...
Register for classes
View your student account
See you I-20/DS-2019 end date
Pay tuition bills
Even more! In CAESAR, you must:
Update your address within 10 days of any changes!
Click on the "country" hyperlink to change the country

Permanent address: your foreign address
Current address: your US address This is so we can notify SEVIS and the US government!
GSA: Graduate Student Association
CSSA: Chinese Students and Scholars Association
G-SALSA: Graduate Student Association for Latino and Spanish Activities
IGSSA: Indian Graduate Students and Scholars Association
Representatives are here at the Resource Fair today!

Even more groups!
tgs.northwestern.edu/graduate-life/student-associations/index.html ( Get involved! hereandnow.northwestern.edu Undergraduate student portal northwestern.edu/campus-life Maps, transportation, campus events and more tgs.northwestern.edu/current-students Graduate student portal northwestern.edu/uservices/transportation/shuttles/intercampus/intercampus.html norris.northwestern.edu Norris University Center/Center for Student Involvement: campus events, services and more dailynorthwestern.com & northbynorthwestern.com Student newspapers Shuttle between Evanston/Chicago campuses Download the Northwestern app! Available for iPhone, Blackberry, & Droid phones Get your Wildcard-- NU ID card! Visit the Wildcard office in Norris (underground level) to get yours today! Travel (Out of the US) (In the US) During your program After your program -You CAN travel in the US--
We highly recommend you do!

-Bring your passport (with US visa),
I-94 card and I-20/DS-2019

-Visit kayak.com or orbitz.com to find US flights -All students receive a "grace period" after their I-20 or DS-2019 ends
F-1 students: 60 days
J-1 students: 30 days

-You can use this time to travel in the US,
but once you leave, you can't re-enter in J-1/F-1 status (even if you go to Canada or Mexico!!!)

-If you go to another country during your grace period and want to re-enter the US, you will need to get a tourist visa or visa waiver Document examples I-20 end date: check carefully! sign and date here DS-2019 end date: check carefully sign and date here Visa Stamp Visa type That means we are here for you! Not sure if a job is "on-campus"? Ask the IO! CPT (Curricular Practical Training) During your academic program
Must be tied to a course credit
Not available for all programs OPT (Optional Practical Training) After you graduate
Must be in F-1 status for three quarters
Available for all programs You must apply to the IO for CPT and OPT
We hold CPT and OPT workshops every month AT (Academic Training) Before and/or after your program You must apply to the IO for AT No employment allowed! If an F-2 is offered a job, he/she must work with the employer to change immigration statuses Can apply for work authorization The application process can take 3-4 months
Can work as long as the J-1 is in valid status Remember... No two snowflakes are exactly alike No two international students are exactly alike What this means:
-your friend in another program may be eligible for CPT, but you may not be
-your sister at another university may be eligible for an extension, but you may not be
-you may have to take courses in the summer, depending on your program You are unique!
So is your F-1 or J-1 status.
If you have questions, please talk to us first. The IO does not keep copies of your documents It is your visa status. -You will need your passport, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94
-You can do this today in Room MG51 with Adam
-REQUIRED What else can I talk to my advisor about? -Academic goals or problems
-Internships and employment
-Issues with your PI/academic advisor
-Life in Evanston/Chicago
-Homesickness International Spouse and Family Orientation
October 19 3-6 pm
sign up: northwestern.edu/international
Full transcript