Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Swing Dancing (1920's-1940's)
Transcript of Swing Dancing (1920's-1940's)
Forms of Swing Dance
Early forms Of Swing
St. Louis Shag
1940's- the present
Eastern Swing (evolution of Fox Trot)
East Coast Swing
West Coast Swing
Imperial Swing (cross between East and West Coast Swing)
Rock n Roll
Acrobatic Rock n Roll
Washington Hand Dancing
"Swing" is an all-American couples rhythm dance consisting primarily of 6-Beat and 8-Beat patterns that cover either a circular or slotted area on the dance floor. Swing incorporates the use of underarm turns, side passes, push breaks, and whips -- plus "4-Beat" rhythm beaks, syncopations and extensions of the same."
Famous Swing Dancers
Herb and Rosaline Rosen
Different types of competition
4. Strictly: One couple competing together in various heats, to randomly selected music, where no pre-choreographed steps are allowed.
1. Jack and Jill: Where leaders and followers are randomly matched for the competition. In initial rounds, leaders and followers usually compete individually, but in final rounds, scoring depends on the ability of the partner you draw and your ability to work with that partner. Some competitions hold a Jill-and-Jack division where leaders must be women and followers must be men.
2.Showcase: One couple competing together for a single song which has been previously choreographed.
3. Classic: Similar to Showcase but with restrictions on lifts, drops, moves where one partner supports the weight of the other partner, and moves where the partners are not in physical contact.
1. choose a comfortable pair of shoes with a smooth sole
2. for women choose comfortable loose clothes(usually medium length skirts or dresses). For men choose a comfortable button down shirt and loose pants.
3.do not put on any strong perfumes or aftershave
West Coast Swing
Swing Dance History
What are the later forms of swing?
Swing dance is a broad term describing a variety of partner dances. The history of swing began in 1920, when people were dancing to contemporary jazz music, discovered the Lindy Hop and the Charleston. While people were dancing to both contemporary jazz music and swing music, they soon included tap and jazz steps into their dancing. At the time, Swing was forbidden and kids gathered secretly to dance.